Too Expensive?!?

Discussion in 'Logbook User Forum' started by W5LL, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KC5GB

KC5GB Ham Member QRZ Page

As an XML subscriber, I'm uploading for those who wish to validate contact with me, but don't use this feature as my logbook. I tend to agree with earlier posters about the validity of yet another on-line log.
    I subscribe solely for the realtime linkage QRZ.com gives me to my comm/log software . When the server went down a few days ago, it really brought home to me its true value which is easily worth $30 a year.
    It seems to me that the QRZ logbook is just an added benefit for those who want to use it. Nothing more, nothing less...

2. KG6MZS

KG6MZS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This was pretty much what I was trying to say earlier. Actually it was when I went in and started customizing my QRZ listing page that I started to appreciate all that I was getting for free. Like good books or movies, I am glad the creator is getting my money. It seems to encourage them to create more good stuff.

Another country heard from.

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

3. KT1B

KT1B Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Fred, may I suggest that it may be in the best interest of QRZ to allow and encourage anyone and everyone to upload their logfiles to QRZ in order to make the service more valuable to those who subscribe and have full logbook access. As for logbook access, I would suggest a 14 to 30 day trial. After that, you either pay or don't use it.

Another possible source of revenue and an enticement for people to upload their logs would be the option to be able to download the logfile at a reasonable charge should they lose their primary log. An offsite backup never hurt anyone.

I do not feel that you should give the log book service away. I do feel that it is in the best interest of QRZ to make it as easy as possible for non subscribers to confirm contacts for those who do subscribe.

To me that means sending up an adif of my log. I'm not going to check off whether or not I worked someone, it's easier to export the log and upload it.

A also think that EQSL.CC is taking away from it's credibility by allowing people to manually confirm contacts. LOTW has the right approach in requiring matching information be uploaded.

The reason is simple, people aren't going to manually check their logs one by one and then manually confirm people. If they remember the call, they'll confirm it, even if the mode and band are wrong. If the station is DX that they need, they're going to confirm it even if they never worked the station. The honest people are going to make an educated guess. Yes, I work a lot of stations from that area of the world, most likely I worked this guy too and they'll check it off.

If someone were to get on Eqsl and start sending out phony contacts, I bet they would probably get a high percentage of confirmations from people who would give them the benefit of the doubt. "I must have forgot to log the guy." or "I worked 2000 stations in EU last year, he must have been one of them"

At least if people are required to upload ADIFs and have a match to confirm a contact, a cheater would need to contact someone directly and ask them to upload the contact. Maybe a few would. It's a lot more work doing that than sending out contacts knowing full well that people need only click their mouse once to confirm the contact.

I see no advantage to allowing people to manually confirm contacts.

Thanks for listening.

73 Scott KT1B Haverhill, MA

4. KT1B

KT1B Ham Member QRZ Page

I decided to subscribe today, not because of the logbook, but because I use QRZ on a daily basis to lookup calls and get qsl information. It's a valuable service that is worth supporting. Now, as a subscriber, let me re-iterate that you should make it as easy as possible for others to upload their logs so that as many contacts as possible can be confirmed.

If you offer or plan to offer awards for confirmed contacts it will slow down revenue generation if people are not able to easily upload their contacts via ADIF regardless of their subscriber status.

If you want to increase the integrity of the award system, get rid of the manual confirmation.

Thank you for your time and for reading this. Thank you for providing a valuable service ot the ham community. When qsl'ing I find qRZ an invaluable tool to make sure that QSL's are routed properly.

I find the QRZ pages of the hams to be very intersting.

I should have contributed sooner.

73 Scott KT1B Haverhill, MA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.