Too Expensive?!?

Discussion in 'Logbook User Forum' started by W5LL, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

The $20 helps to keep the server running, and gets rid of the ads. Pony up another $10 and you should get the logbook. Read a few posts up and Fred says it's $29.95 with a 30 day money back guarantee.

Fred will get my annual subscription at the first of the month.

2. K3DAV

K3DAV Ham Member QRZ Page

You made the announcement of a FREE CD to those who attended. So they did. But you didn't announce it was an outdated CD, and they didn't know it until they got it after listening to you speak. So they did NOT show up thanks to the promise of a free piece of outdated software. How many do you think would have shown up if they had known before hand that the CD was old and outdated?

That's like advertising that you have a new car on your lot for sale at only $3,000. Everyone flocks to you to get a new car for 3 grand, only to find out it was just the newest car on your used car lot.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but isn't that a deception to get people to show up?

Fred, all of us are greedy to a point. In this time of money problems and a bad economy, we all want something for nothing. It's just human nature. But I understand some of these guy's concerns. I am on a fixed retired income myself. When you earn less than $1,000 each month to live on, $30 for a log book is a lot. You say it is just 0.08 cents a day. But all of our utilities and rent, and mortgage, food and all of the other necessities of life.........are also pennies a day each, but they add up to our whole pay check.

If we all had normal full time jobs earning $15 to $30 an hour, this wouldn't even be a conversation. We would be delighted to just get the log and be done with it. But that is not the case. Many of us hams are older retired guys on fixed incomes. Our dollars are tight. .08 cents a day is $2.40 of our measly monthly pay check from Uncle Sam. Some seniors still have to decide each month whether to buy food or their medications. Kinda puts that .08 cents a day in a whole new perspective, doesn't it?

Don't look at this as a complaint about the price, but rather a reason why many see it as an extra expense that is too high for THEM.

3. W5HOY

W5HOY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Fred for your explanation - very good summation of what have come to expect from our suppliers - I am curious what would we have to pay to get the service of instant background information on 99.9% of HAMs we make contact with? Right now I get that service free - is it worth .08 cents per day - Absolutely; and to be sure not even that is free - we still have to pay through the nose for internet providers -

I agree with KG6MZS.

Thanks
    Charlie W5HOY

4. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

You have obviously never been to a Corvette forum! There are people who will spend $40-50,000 or more on a car then ask, "Where can I get the cheapest tires?"

5. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Well, not so long ago, if we wanted that information, we bought the Callbook. Two of them, actually. And they were "out of date" before they were printed.

And they gave us a mailing address and license class. Period.

Bill

6. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can't afford it, dont buy it. But the point here is, he's complaining about having to pay... nothing. If he doesnt use it, he doesnt pay for it.

So next time you're at the store, go ahead and ask the manager to knock $25.00 off your grocery bill since you cant afford it, also, tell him you want your cigarettes, or booze or candy for free, because you cant afford it.

When hams say my software is too expensive I say, dont buy it then. Then they come back with 'I need it, but...'.

Same thing happend at the Hunstville Hamfest doing DXCC card checking. Everyone wanted to be put in front of everyone else.

Get it over and pony up the money if you have it, if you dont, dont buy it, but shut up complaining that's it too expensive and YOU should have it cheaper.

The 'you' in this message refers to the hams that complain and never buy.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Fred, you even shamed me into becoming a Premium Subscriber.

And my parents invented copper wire by arguing over a penny.

Congratulations!

Steve WB2WIK

8. K3DAV

Rich you miss my point. I am agreeing with you. If you can't afford it, don't buy it. The original poster was not complaining that it was too expensive. He was saying it was too expensive for HIM. And that is all I was saying.

Suggesting we ask the grocery store for a discount because we can't afford it, is just dumb. The food we need to survive is budgeted into our monthly pay check without a choice, just like the utility bills, rent...etc.. These things all add up to our low fixed monthly pay check, and doesn't leave room for anything else. Even a $2.40 extra for enjoyment or convenience.

Obviously from your rude comments, you have a good income so you can't begin to understand the real meaning of my post. Only those of us on fixed incomes can get the real point. It was not a complaint about the price. Just an explanation of why it is too expensive for those of us on low fixed incomes. No one is asking for the service for free or a discount. It was just an explanation. No need for rudeness and sarcasm.

9. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

I didnt mean as rude, it was sarcasm. And it wasn't directed to you at all but was to the first poster. Sorry if I didnt make that clear.

However Ive been on both ends of the spectrum and usually end up middle low! LOL I know what it's like to be dirt poor and I know what it's like to make alot of money. Right now my company is doing ok, but like all others, we've had to make sacrifices to stay in business. One of mine was not taking a salary for two years, so I could keep my employees working through hard times, because I had been there, without a job and without money to live on.

10. K3DAV

Okay Rich. Understood. Thanks. If you have been dirt poor, then you do understand. But just try to imagine what it is like to be dirt poor today with the worse economy ever. We usually get a small "Cost of living" increase in our SS checks every January. But we didn't get one this year because they said the annual cost of living for 2009 did not increase. Yeah right! It makes a lot of us people on SS edgy. Seeing others get what we can't, can be frustrating to say the least. And it drives us a little crazy when others just don't get that idea.

As I said, the original poster was not complaining about the price so much as he was wishing he could afford it, but can't. I had a one year subscription as well, but had to let it lapse. Like you said. If you can't afford it, don't get it. There is no other choice.

Take care Rich.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.