Too Expensive?!?

Discussion in 'Logbook User Forum' started by W5LL, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W5LL

W5LL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think $30 for the privledge of being able to upload your log in adif format a bit rediclous. I don't have a use for the QRZ features that go along with membership so I have never subscribed. However, I would have participated with the logbook had it not been made so hard for non subscribers to enter their logs. I will continue to confirm contacts for others but I will not be participating in the new logbook. I'm sure no one cares but I needed to vent.

73 Matt
    W5LL

2. SM7JKD

SM7JKD Ham Member QRZ Page

There are no free meal tickets ! ..... SM7JKD

Hi Matt.
    I of course respect your opinion, but do not agree with it. I realise that you refer to the logging programme's costs.
    I think QRZ.COM do a fantastic job, which I am sure the vast majority of us hams will agree. The basics are free, then there are those, who for one reason or another, subscribe, or donate; there are of course, those who don't. Maybe those who do, feel that to give a little financial support now and again, or on a regular basis, is not such a bad idea, considering all we get from QRZ.
    I stumbled across QRZ logging, I guess like others, who have, or will.... I got curious, thought it was a good service... started to use it.
    I then paid $39 , which for all I receive, not just the logging, is good value for money.
    I will mention though, that I have never used any computer logging previously.
    We are all entitled to our opinions... you have yours, this is mine.
    Enjoy our great hobby.
    73's de David... SM7JKD / G4HUT.

3. VK2HV

VK2HV Ham Member QRZ Page

Please tell the readers what exactly we get for $30/year and why we need it

4. W5LL

W5LL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Dave,

My point is that by limiting the adif upload to only paid subscribers QRZ is not realizing the full potential of the logbook and drastically reducing the amount of hams who would have at least uploaded their logs if that feature was available to eveyone. As it is now the logbook will be limited to either those who want to manually enter in contacts or fork over $30 for the privledge to do it all at once. I have over 10k contacts in my log. It's not practical for me to put all those in manually so I'll just keep confirming the contacts that I receive and tha'll be the end of it.

73 Matt
    W5LL

5. SM7JKD

SM7JKD Ham Member QRZ Page

Too expensive ...

Hi Matt,
    I guess this is a case of keeping my mouth shut before understanding the facts. Now that I understand your point,which is valid, I withdraw my comments... Sorry.
    You don't need to send the troops to Europe... I promise to be good.
    73's de David... SM7JKD.

6. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

You should re-title this article. Although you called it "Too Expensive", it would have been more accurate to title it "I'm not going to pay for something that if it was free, I would like and use a lot!".

According to your bio, you have a great antenna setup, work satellite FM, have several radios, and have accumulated more than 10,000 contacts. I would guess that on average, you probably spend at least $2 per day over the course of a year to support your ham radio habit. I could be wrong. You probably spend a lot more than that.

At $29.95 per year, subscribing to QRZ costs $0.08 per day. Eight cents. You're not a non-subscriber because you think its expensive.

Quite simply, it's a value proposition. Evidently, you don't feel that the QRZ service is worth eight cents and if that's the case then I agree with you and wouldn't buy it either.

Perhaps you'd be surprised to learn that a number of hams come to the site and subscribe just so they can help support us. There may well be some parts of the logbook subscription that you won't use, but then how often do you use every single feature that a product offers?

As to your well thought out point, i.e., that the service would draw more activity if non-paying users could upload their ADIF logs, I agree with that as well.

There has never a problem attracting people to a give-away. A lot of hams are downright shameless about it. This summer, I've been traveling around the country attending as many hamfests as I can and where possible, giving a talk about QRZ to all those who are interested. At one particular event, I looked into the audience and counted six people waiting to hear my presentation. I have a box of old QRZ CD's that are now obsolete and over a year old. As an experiment, I had it announced over the loudspeakers that I'd be giving away a FREE CD to those who attended my talk. You can guess what happened. Suddenly, the hall was filled to nearly standing room only, thanks to the promise of a free piece of outdated software. I should have been ashamed of myself however, because after all, how hard is it to stand on a street corner and pass out $5 bills?

Back to your point, however, suppose you were a paying subscriber and suddenly, we decided to extend the service that you've paid to support to everybody. Suddenly, the system would be swamped with activity and there would be a noticeable performance drop. Now, we need to buy a couple more servers, more network bandwidth, and guess what... the donations coming in aren't enough to cover it. Perhaps some wealthy benefactor will come along and save us, but then again, what if everybody who used it chipped in, say, 8 CENTS A DAY toward the project? Now we're talking.

I apologize for my long winded response. The bottom line is that I'm not ready to unleash a very CPU and database intensive service to tens of thousands of participants for whom many of which are just curious to see what they're going to get for free.

Finally, to VK2HV, it should by now be obvious what you get with a subscription. I'll extend you and everyone else a simple proposition. Sign up and subscribe to the Logbook feature and try it for 30 days. If you're not satisfied with what you get then I will refund the full price of your subscription.

7. KT7DAD

KT7DAD Ham Member QRZ Page

A few comments to Fred...

1. I don't really see the need for another online logbook.
    We already have LoTW, eQsl and HRDlog.net.

2. I see the need for revenue, and a log book may be a goo vehicle to
    generate revenue. However, make it a little cheaper and more people
    will be able to subscribe, and your revenue will increase.

3. To me it is an expense I can not defend, I am a single parent on fixed
    income, Yes I know I have a lot of neat equipment, most traded, been
    given to me, or have been very good deals, so not really a lot of money
    locked up there, so don't go there......

I have pretty good size logfile, that I have build over the last 12+ months, I have no real interest in the logbook, but IF it had been free, I would have uploaded as a favor to the ones using it.

8. KG6MZS

KG6MZS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yet further evidence that hams, as a group, are the most notorious tightwads.

9. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

IB4LT...........

10. KD8KSN

KD8KSN Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred -

Since we are on the topic of the logbook (which I think is a great idea - I personally do not use it a whole lot, but I like the option of having it available), I thought I would bring up an issue I have been having.... I have the $20 add-free QRZ subscription. With that said, when I go to my logbook it says, "subscribe now for access to your full-featured logbook including all contacts and details" down at the bottom of the page. The thing I do not get is, why is it not allowing me to access the full QRZ logbook when I do have a subscription? Is the XML subscrpiption the bottom line for receiving the full logbook?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.