Too Bad AM is Useless For DX

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W2VW, Apr 8, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

W0GSQ likes this.
  2. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

My best AM DX was last winter on 75. I was talking with Timtron on about 3880 at 2 AM, and we both were starting to feel crapped out with the Nicad Effect coming on fast, so we decided to call it a night and signed out. Then, I heard a weak station call me. My first thought was that it was someone a few states away running his DX-60 or his Kenwood-on-AM into a G5RV 18' off the ground, but I decided to listen to hear who it was. Turned out it was a ZL3 calling from New Zealand. He told me I was Q5 and that he was also hearing Tim. Tim gave him a call, and we carried on a three-way for another 20 minutes, from Tennessee, Maine and New Zealand.

KF5RRF, W1AEX, KD2ACO and 2 others like this.
  3. KX5JT

KX5JT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Also, 15 meters in the mornings have yielded AM DX for me from the UK, Spain and Italy.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

WOW!!! That's pretty incredible I gotta say :)

I'm finally, after 193 years as a ham, putting something together very soon on AM - just a DX-60b with SB-301 receiver for 75 and 40 but what the heck... also going to try a Twoer into a "brick amp" on the beam at 50 feet but that's another story

Dave
    W7UUU

W2VW likes this.
  5. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard that QSO Don. IIRC the guy had some wire antenna and lots of telephone poles.

6. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm lucky to have a great location for 10 meters. None of this is exceptional IMO. Even a caveman could do it. Looking forward to working you on AM.

7. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

I work AM on occasion on all the bands.
    15m and 10m are great once the bands are open.
    All the old equipment comes on to respond to me when I call CQ.
    Even worked 2m Am.
    Presently we have a 6m AM net every Sunday evening at 7:30 pm here in eastern Pa. 50.400.
    I have some vintage equipment I started to work on but not complete enough to put on the air.
    The project is to Transceive using KW TS2000 as a receiver and TX vfo control the transmitter.
    So far works ok until you try to do it on a band that requires F multiplication.
    The TS 2000 doe not out high enough harmonic amplitude to drive F multiplication for the higher band 6 on up.
    Have to resort to crystal control until a VFO come along.
    As far as DX on AM goes, sure England, Ireland, western Canada.
    Good luck.

8. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WOW Dave you really are OLD! :D

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yes, yes I am :) Seems that way some days anyway!

Dave
    W7UUU

10. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't know why you guys are surprised at working DX on AM . . .

What do you think people did before SSB?! People still worked all over the world on phone.

I worked the USA on AM on 160m before I had an SSB rig.

Roger G3YRO