Tone

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KB1CKT, Sep 19, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The NB wasn't an option on the OMNI-C, it was factory equipped.

Of course it's also an old rig and if yours wasn't purchased new from Ten Tec in the late 1970s a previous owner may have modified it -- impossible to know without very carefully inspecting it inside.

2. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Noise blankers only can reduce or eliminate rapid, narrow pulse noises like ignition noise from a vehicle. Turning them on with out that specific kind of noise can cause problems from strong out of passband signals messing up what you are listening to. If the band is quiet, NO, you may not notice anything at all turning on the NB.

3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

That is the best way to run the receiver on the lower bands in the summer lightning QRN season. So many newer ops get discouraged when there is QRN and give up, I'll bet they run everything wide open with out a clue of how to get rid of the static crashes. :eek:
    I started out in ham radio stuck on 80M CW and quickly found out how to live with summer QRN :D

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, Heard Lane on the air a few times :D
    You can get VFOs to chirp with a poor B+ regulation but the Xtals are chirpy when the osc circuit is putting too much feedback on them. A design flaw that takes a lot of tinkering to remedy.

5. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I noticed the last couple of nights 80m was getting nice to listen to. Then I noticed some crackling noise. I'm starting to think the noise floor is getting low enough to hear local noise sources. I should look into an RX loop--I started one, but never finished it.

What's nice is to leave the filter wide and drop to 500Hz only when there are nearby stations, or the SNR is really bad. I won't say it's ring, but there's a hollow-ness to 500Hz that I don't get on 1.8kHz. At least that is how I like to run.

6. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

It is an acquired taste OM... It took me some time to adjust myself to narrower i.f. filtering and audio bandwidths, now I don't do otherwise unless I'm just casually tuning around. General rule for me is 300/250Hz wide i.f. these days.
    When you have it adjusted right the CW note will pop out at you leaving noise etc behind, this is providing you have an adequate strength receive signal to start with. Also an RX having a notch filter and i.f. shifting capabilities adds to the pleasure. Again something you won't do without later.
    Like K8JD says, operating 80m CW in summer months is your best teacher by far!

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

When the signal is reading just at or over the background noise, on the S meter TURN the RF gain DOWN !
    This will help get the noise down and the signal will be easier to read. It takes some playing to get just the right setting, 80 and 160M on a summer night is when I have the RF gain set at 1/2 or less.
    Using the narrowest filter you have will also help bring the CW signals out of the noise. When it's noisy I use the 250 Hz IF filter.

8. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

On my TenTec I usually have RF at 4 on 80m, maybe 5, unless if the band is really weak. Never on 10. AF is usually at 2.5 or so--at 3 there is too much audio noise. Speaker is a 5" jobbie in a box aimed at my head. Plenty of audio. If the signal can make the S meter hit S3 then the speaker pops pretty badly. Usually I have it so the meter is "dead" and doing nothing.

I have noticed lately that going narrow can bring a weak signal up, but I think in those cases I've had the RF gain up too hot (like 6) in an attempt to hear 'em. At that point all I hear is noise, so cutting bandwidth helps. But with a reasonably quiet band, wide is where I tend to leave it at.