Tone on 7.050 MHz

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KA8MNP, Sep 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA8MNP

KA8MNP Ham Member QRZ Page

Often, I hear a tone repeated over and over on 7.050 MHz continuously without any ID. It sounds like either a long dit or short dah, hard to say which without any context. Just beep, beep, beep. I'm sure someone has posted this question before but I couldn't find it when I searched for it. Maybe I'm asking the wrong question. Now I hear an answering beep in between the original beeps. The original is generally S9 and the answer is weaker. I kind of think the answer is some other op who heard it and is bored, it is 2:30 AM Eastern time.

The answer will fade away but the original goes on and on. What the heck is this ?

Thanks Randall KA8MNP

2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

When you first posted, I looked on the NA5B WebSDR RECEIVER SYSTEM and saw the signal you were talking about. It was a continuous tone that happened about every 3 seconds. It was right on 7.050 MHz. But it's gone now. There are 5 or 6 CW stations spread around the lower 100 KHz, but that's about it.

What was it? I don't know. My guess is that, someone didn't know that they left something running.

One time I got called into work at night because the internet biggies were threatening to shut the plant down. It seems that they were getting pummeled by thousands of pings. It seemed like a denial of service attack. They tracked it to my place of work, but no one knew how to find the offending machine. Armed with the IP address, I found it pretty quickly and remedied the problem.

It turns out that, during the day, another engineer was doing some time testing, to see how long it took for a packet to get to several locations. The engineer was working with a Unix machine, but was not up on some of the commands. He would execute "ping" as a background process. He didn't realize that when he ran it that way, the ping process did not shut itself down after one ping. Once started that way, ping would run forever, until it is forcibly killed. He was sending off pings all day, without ever checking his processes. So he had hundreds of pings running for hours and hours.

I reported my findings to management, but never heard what happened. But it never happened again.

3. KA8MNP

It's there often, maybe every night, my hearing it may depend on propagation. If I'm awake at that time tonight I'll listen for it again. Also for part of the time I could hear beeps in between the beeps. That kind of sounded like a weaker station or source mimicking the other signal. I've heard the same signal in the same spot numerous times before. I can't remember how long ago I first heard it.

4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe the Cubans are jamming that low now/ I've heard them on 7095

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the Air & On the daily

5. KA8MNP

Maybe...

6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

7. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It is there right now.

8. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

9. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I hang out on 7.058, I hear it there on occasion. I keep thinking someone it going to end up sending but never do. Been going on several years. No idea what it is. 73 Rich

10. KA8MNP

Listening and I think I hear it but there is a very loud digital signal covering it up.

" This would be a great situation to give the KiwiSDR TDoA application a test run.
    http://forum.kiwisdr.com/categories/kiwisdr-tdoa-topics"

Good idea Pat W5WTH, how complicated would this be to do ?