ad: hrd-2

To the editor of the QRZ Trivia...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VE3GZB, Jan 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. N4KZ

N4KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I enjoy playing the QRZ trivia game but have questioned the accuracy of a couple of answers. A recent question asked which of the states listed were not in the 8th call area. The answer given was not correct. And a few months earlier, a question asked if it would have been legal for a novice class operator to work a 2-meter FM repeater in the early 1960s. I marked the answer as no because although novices had 2-meter voice privileges in the early '60s, the FCC regs specified they could only work AM phone on 2 meters. And the question asked about FM repeaters. (I don't know h0w many FM repeaters were even on 2 meters at that time.) But the given answer was that it was true. Wrong. 73, N4KZ

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

As I've posted, just finish the quiz, and hit "report" if you see a question with an error.

Note there are several thousand questions in the pool, the vast majority of which were at one time "user submitted" by hundreds of users over time - so the Trivia editors try to catch any that aren't quite right but with thousands of questions and only one editor team, things get missed from time to time.

Users hitting "report" are welcome - they try to address each and every report.

But do also note: some of the questions are "trick questions" so a lot of the reports are just ranting about being tripped up in a trick question. Or some folks "remember things a different way" - the Trivia editors I do know try hard to research correct answers when things get reported though.

Dave
    W7UUU

3. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The only issue I will disagree with you on is this. I was a Novice way back then and we could work 2 meter AM and back then in the LA area there were AM 2 meter repeaters. In fact the very first 2 meter repeater in LA (W6MYK) on Mt. Wilson was AM

4. N4KZ

N4KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am aware there a few AM repeaters in that era but the trivia question specifically mentioned FM repeaters and novices were only allowed AM phone.

K4NWD likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

So next time you see the question come up, hit "report" so the Trivia editors know

Dave
    W7UUU

K4NWD likes this.
  6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Smash that report button!

K8XG, KP4SX and W7UUU like this.
  7. W7UUU

:D:D:D:D

N3AWS likes this.
  8. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I see you are a lawyer by trade, not a psychologist. How is this an "obvious case of reverse psychology"?

It looked like simple instructions to me.

9. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I was making what we lawyers call a "joke." I didn't say it was particularly funny, which is why I'm not a comedian.

10. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll have to dig out an old license manual, but I don't know if there was a restriction on what kind of 'phone they could use on 2 meters. As a practical matter, it was almost all AM in that time frame, but I think FM would have been legal.