To the editor of the QRZ Trivia...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VE3GZB, Jan 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. VE3GZB

VE3GZB Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish the questions in the QRZ Trivia, as fun as they may be, could reflect the wider, universal nature of ham radio.

It's been an issue bugging me whenever I try to play the trivia game while waiting for some band activity. Far too many questions which occur in the trivia are truly only answerable from a USA experience.

Any ham outside of the USA really has no practical chance of being able to answer some of the questions unless they spend weeks researching.

QRT. 73s de VE3GZB

UT7UX, KK4NSF, W2JKT and 8 others like this.
  2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good points. And it would not hurt USA hams to have to think about things from a non-USA perspective, as well.

K4KYV, KC7JNJ, KD8ZMN and 7 others like this.
  3. N1YR

N1YR Ham Member QRZ Page

Also, when you 'report' a question and explain the error, the wrong one continues in rotation anyway. Like the one about the wrong Peter Jennings, based only on a name match. It's a good thing there are no questions based on 'John Smith.'

And no one edits the questions composed incorrectly, with the correct answer included in the question. An example, not actually a quiz question, would be like:

Who was Alan Shepard, the first American in space?
    a. John Glenn
    b. Yuri Gagarin
    c. Alan Shepard
    d. Virgil "Gus" Grissom

:mad:

HA3FLT and PU2OZT like this.
  4. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I bet if you sent them a bunch of questions, they would use them.

N0TZU, NN4RH and PU2OZT like this.
  5. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Could it be so, really?
    Sets of more DX questions, e.g. «Which answer is false related to band privileges in 2020...»
    You'd learn 3 bands allocations, power limits, or antennas, etc
    And only that way, because I think it's smarter to learn three facts.

Reading the Handbook will not fill your brain with 3 paragraphs of technic that is not working each 4 paragraphs. However, I understand that by 2021 pedagogy, any insignificant piece of knowledge should mean you're the most brilliant scientist.

As for Gagatron, Graham Bell's divorce year and so on, there will be a saturation point where no one will dare opening the quiz anymore.

6. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to do the trivia quiz. I quit doing that for two reasons: wrong answers and repetitive answers.

Wrong answers on stuff that was easily checked with a little research. Repetitive answers or trivia questions that would repeat time after time and some of them were doubly bad: repeat of a wrong answer.

So, I threw in the towel.

K8PG likes this.
  7. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems like it’s basically an amateur radio history quiz. What’s wrong with a good cross section of technical questions? Maybe we could all learn something.

W5WN, K8PG and PU2OZT like this.
  8. KF5KWO

KF5KWO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Did they not used to have questions from the license question pools?

9. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

OK. I stand corrected. I should have said: I bet if you sent them a bunch of good questions, they would use them.

1 person likes this.
  10. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

Makes me wonder how many quiz viewers are now trying to couple RF into a fir tree.

WB9YTG and WD4ELG like this.