ad: elecraft

to scammed sellers

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KA9KOJ, Apr 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA9KOJ

    KA9KOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

    Hey everyone ka9koj here.

    Ive been reading the posts on the amounts being scammed or the equipment not paid for.

    1. anything ,i believe over $200 is felony theft.
    2. The scams are being done via internet across country thru various States.

    quit being nice to these scumbags.
    gather receipts,signatures etc and turn it in to the local prosecutor of the area the scumbag lives in.dont waste time suing in small claims court.99% of time the scumbag will spend the money,pawn the rig,. If any of you are landlords you know ,just because ur issued a judgment doesnt mean you will get paid.

    3.Contact the FBI,,Postal Enforcment Division for your area.its wire fraud across state lines then the feds have jurisdiction.
    4.Find out where the scumbag lives physically. Then file a lein against his house,car etc.for the amount owed.
    5.spread the word. But make sure the culprit is who they really are.
    A.always with money orders over a certain amount, send it certified. extra $5?
    B.Always research the seller before buying. verify emails,call sign, etc.
    C. exhange emails over it. you have ip address registered now.
    D. any amount over $100 thru paypal,send regularly but not repeat not friends or wont be able to get reembursed if you just send it as friends or family.
    E.If the person IS a verifiable ham.lets make the FCC jerk their licenses after its proven its them.
    F.Make ARRL and websites like this have a list of wall of shame and ban them from accessing the fourms .

    Sometimes you just have to go to a hamfest to get a great deal or just buy from online reputable radio dealers.

    David Todd
  2. WW1SS

    WW1SS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    Last time I did that I had to file the complaint with my local PD and it got forwarded to the jurisdiction where the supposed crime occurred. I had an issue where someone got my CC number and paid for their storage unit online. I had it down to the storage facility and unit number. Manager would not give me name of person. Police in the jurisdiction said "We don't know who was on the computer and did the actual transaction with your card" So it went no where.
  3. KG5THG

    KG5THG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    If you have a judgement, make sure the IRS has a tax return lien and go for the wage garnishment.
    KA9KOJ likes this.
  4. K8MH

    K8MH Ham Member QRZ Page

    I wonder how many of you offering suggestions have actually been in the shoes of the victims?
    I have a couple of times - not here, but elsewhere, and the deck is certainly stacked against you, its much much easier to write it off as experience.
    KE4HTS likes this.
  5. KA9KOJ

    KA9KOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

    Ive been there. and when it comes to money that is ripped off or equipment, my hillbilly comes out. steal a quarter i will get retribution of $50 dollars. yea. when i worked in industrial construction all over,i had some other things ripped off but decided my honor was more important than letting it slide. i hunted them down ,went to their jobsites and retrieved my money.

    Sometimes you have to get ticked off enough to swallow glass.and smile. Ive been scammed 3 times. i did the local pd thing worthless. and then called legal aid. they gave me some free advice. i wrote a letter to the prosecuting attorney where one of the scumbags lived. verified. he even said he would not refund my money. I copied all emails,receipts ,etc and sent one letter to the local pd where i lived,to the local prosecutor where the scumbag lived, and one letter to the prosecutors state attorney generals office. it took a little time but i obtained all my money plus costs. I dont have all the answers but i reminded the prosecutor that the money i was out is a felony theft. I also called their office twice a day wanting updates to the situation.By the way i dont forget,and i dont write it off.I was a pain in the prosecutors butt . I finally stooped to calling him incompetent and im going to send all my info to the FBI,newspapers,radio etc. One week later, i had my money.It took me 4 months but i had my money back.. this scum is now sitting in prison.On multiple counts.The other one went easier.I caught the guy at his local
    hamfest i went to ,hoping to meet.Just by chance there was a craigslist listing for ham radio equipment for sale.same dude and he said he would be at the local hamfest. I also called the local sheriffs office and showed the letters,copies of emails and responses.needless to say that ham had some brown dripping down his jeans when he was identified by one of his good buddies and a deputy and i walked right up to him.He paid and i still pressed charges.They investigated and found I wasnt the only one he did this to. He ended up in jail. anything over $100,yea i will make it my waking existance to get retribution.
    So if in doubt, be a hillbilly and get raw,mean and a pain in the butt.

    this is my story.

    ps any fellow stole 500 to a grand off me i would do ANYTHING TO GET THAT HARD EARNED MONEY BACK.

    you worked for it. toiled for the man. they just walked into your house so to speak and took food off your families table.

    just because we are hams dont mean we cant get down and dirty to get back whats rightfully ours.
    W4DAF likes this.
  6. KA9KOJ

    KA9KOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

    Wire fraud is a crime in which a person concocts a scheme to defraud or obtain money based on false representation or promises. This criminal act is done using electronic communications or an interstate communications facility.Mar 28, 2019

  7. KA9KOJ

    KA9KOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

    In the United States, mail and wire fraud is any fraudulent scheme to intentionally deprive another of property or honest services via mail or wire communication. It has been a federal crime in the United States since 1872.
  8. KA9KOJ

    KA9KOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

    Basically, wire fraud is similar to mail fraud, with the only real difference being that the telephone, interstate wires, or the Internet is used as the mode of communication. ... That the defendant did use interstate wire communications to commit the crime in question.
  9. KA9KOJ

    KA9KOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

    Report Fraud
    • Consumer Fraud and Identity Theft. Contact the Federal Trade Commission at 1-877-FTC-HELP, 1-877-ID-THEFT, or online at
    • Health Care Fraud, Medicare/Medicaid Fraud, and Related Matters. ...
    • Mail Fraud and Lottery/Sweepstakes Fraud. ...
    • Securities Fraud.
  10. KA9KOJ

    KA9KOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

    If you are in need of legal advice, please contact your local bar association at The Fraud Section conducts criminal prosecutions and cannot provide legal advice to citizens.

    If you would like to report fraud, please contact the appropriate investigative agency as follows:

    Consumer Fraud and Identity Theft
    Contact the Federal Trade Commission at 1-877-FTC-HELP, 1-877-ID-THEFT, or online at

    Disaster-Related Fraud
    Contact the National Center for Disaster Fraud at (866) 720-5721, by fax at (225) 334-4707, or by email at

    Correspondence may be sent to:
    National Center for Disaster Fraud
    Baton Rouge, LA 70821-4909

    General Fraud and Other Criminal Matters
    Contact the FBI at (202) 324-3000, or online at or

    Health Care Fraud, Medicare/Medicaid Fraud, and Related Matters
    Contact the Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the Inspector General at 1-800-HHS-TIPS, or online at

    Internet Fraud and Lottery/Sweepstakes Fraud by Internet
    Contact the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) online at

    Mail Fraud and Lottery/Sweepstakes Fraud
    Contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service at 1-800-372-8347, or online at

    Securities Fraud
    Contact the Securities and Exchange Commission at 1-800-SEC-0330, or online at or

    State and Local Fraud
    Contact your local Police Department or State Attorney General's Office.

Share This Page