TNC or Soundcard?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by N1MIW, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N1MIW

N1MIW Ham Member QRZ Page

I see your point, Rick. So then, if I was to buy a PK-900 or 232MBX (not sure if I'll need the DSP part yet) in order to do all modes, would that be the way to go? I'm familiar with how expensive it is to upgrade at least the '900 - which costs almost as much as a new computer - but the computer I'm running is a Dell with XP and almost a gig of ram. It looks like I do need to find a TNC, but either with the most recent firmware, or see what it'll cost to upgrade the particular model... Larry N1MIW

2. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

I see pK-232's on ebay all the time. All you'd need is one with 7.0 firmware or later and you can get the soundcard board.

Here's one thats ready to go

http://cgi.ebay.com/TIMEWAVE-PK-232...069?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a12f010d

$200 buy it now, which is only $100 more than a rigblaster.

This one is the old red leds which would need a firmware upgrade

http://cgi.ebay.com/AEA-PAKRATT-232...630?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a09d6fc26

There's a Pk-900 on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-AEA-Model-...763?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c150f5973

3. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Rick,

To answer your question to me:

ARQ via soundcards... to name a few; ALE, ALE400, PAX, PAX2, NBEMS w/flarq, Ax25 packet (many flavors of psk/fsk), Winmor. Probably missed a few.
    Not trivial to code ARQ in a windows environment! And yes, I still use a hardware TNC...a lot to be said for it.

Bill N9DSJ

4. N1MIW

Is there a reason why soundcard softwares do not run these modes? I would think that since the computer is running the show, there wouldn't be anything special for the programmer to do other than write the code - unless that's where the problem is... Any developers writing a program to include what modes that they legally can? The closest I can think of right now is MixW - but without a maildrop. ...Larry

5. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Larry,

Not sure I understand your question; soundcard software does support the modes I mentioned (and more). The problem for ARQ modes is timing...difficult issues for coding in Windows.

Bill N9DJ

6. N1MIW

Bill, I guess what I meant is that why isn't there a program out there that DOES include all of the current modes, if it's easy to do (or is there?). I guess it all depends on the writer of the software. Like MixW has Packet pre-programmed - but if you want to decode something special like UO-11 (when it was working), you just change a few parameters and you're all set.

7. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Packet isn't an ARQ mode, it's a connected mode with error checking. quite different than an ARQ mode, which is why many stations can connect to a Packet BBS but only one at a time can connect to an ARQ BBS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.