TNC connection problem...incompatable with Windows XP

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by NV9L, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NV9L

NV9L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a homebuilt Bux Com V GLX terminal node connector and cannot connect to HRD. Word is that Windows XP thinks it's a different piece of hardware; like a mouse. I did find a free fix on Microsoft's website. Installed and tried to disable the com port setting. It did not work. I am thinking it is the driver. Can anyone help point me in the right direction, if it is the driver...or another direction if it may be something else? The driver listed now reads "Serenum.sys"

Big 8 8's to you if you can solve this
    Valerie

2. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Valerie,

First off, the GLX isnt a TNC, it's a soundcard to radio interface. Do you have the serial portion pluged into a USB to serial adapter or into a real serial port?

Rick - W4PC

3. NV9L

Sorry bout that on the soundcard interface...3 cables come out of the Bux Com. 1 goes to the radio. One is a USB connector and the last one splits into two speaker or headphone type connectors. All of those are plugged directly into the computer.

4. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

The USB cable is a serial to USB adapter, so yes, it is a driver. Alot of the serial to USB interfaces use the CP210X chipset from Silicon Labs, some use the prolific chipset and others use the FTDI chipset.

Buck doesnt put the chipset he uses on his site. I looked at looked, but there should be a set of usb to serial drivers on the CD that came with his product.

It should show up just as a comm port in device manager in Windows. You might want to go into device manager, right click on the device that has the yellow X on it and pick uninstall, then unplug and replug the USB back in and see if it loads the correct driver.

Without knowing what chipset it uses, its hard to direct you to the correct driver for it. Do any of the about chipsets look familar when the device was installing?

5. NV9L

The kit did not come with a CD. That's probably why someone gave it to me for free. I tried uninstalling the driver, unplugging and plugging back in the hardware. It again installed the incorrect driver...so I believe. I think I just may have to go and buy something. Unless you have any other ideas. I scoured the web sites looking for forums where someone may have had the same issue, but am not having any luck.

6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

BuxComm GLX Setup Instructions
    http://www.buckscom.com/pdfzips/GLXsetup.pdf

WELL, that's OK, IF you have a legacy serial port on your computer.

Contact Buck at Buxxcomm on Monday -- he should be able to send out the proper CD (with drivers) for you.

Yes. Early versions of Windows 32-bit OS (W2K, WinXP, Vista) can hold the RTS control line HIGH.

This can cause an auto detection issues (Windows thinks you attached a Serial Microsoft Mouse) -OR-
    IF RTS is used for PTT, the radio transmits when interface is activated !
    BuxComm provides a FIXCOM.EXE application.

The other option is a Microsoft Tech Note (~ 2001) to add a line in startup to state NO serial mouse.
    ==
    Test your USB to Serial port converter cable BEFORE attaching to Buxxcom interface !

w9gb

7. NV9L

Thanks for the info guys. I will contact Buxxcom tomorrow.

8. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Serenum.sys is a service executable that is the upper level serial enumerator. It allows for PnP functionality on serial ports.

The file is a Windows system file.
    serenum.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 15,488 bytes (85% of all occurrence), 15,744 bytes, 17,920 bytes.
    The driver can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.