TM-V7A dead control head display - options?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by K7FR, Aug 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K7FR

K7FR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Greetings!
    I have come into ownership of a Kenwood TM-V7A 2m/440 radio. It has a dead display screen which I know is the bain of this radio. Does anyone know if a real time PC based program was developed to emulate the display if not the control head in its entirety? I've got the program to load memories (and the cable too) but that isn't real time.

Lacking that is the format and levels of the data being passed to and from the control head available? I asked Kenwood and so far cricket city.

73 K7FR

2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't really answer your question, but I also have a TM-V7A that is pretty dead and would be interested in any information you could get. I bought my TM-V7A used from a friend, who is now SK. I thought it was operational when I bought it, but apparently not. I would be interested in getting it running.

3. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I included a link to the D710 control head, but I see it's discontinued. At one time I used a 710 so I followed any information I came across. Some people were as I recall looking for dead main unit 710 for the control head. I'm not sure of their success, but that is a possibility. Older model 710 were prone to failed filters in the main unit. Easy fix as I understand, but some might write them off and not worth the effort to fix and taking up room in the bottom of the closet. I've never seen a computer program for that radio and I do radio and computer concurrently, admittedly for HF. I dabbled with packet and found CAT was mostly about frequency control and keying. I expect 'cricket city' is governed by proprietary covenant and locked up tighter than a drum.
    Good Luck!
    73, Mike KE5MC

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/fm_txvrs/07270071.html

4. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

I acquired a TM-V7A from an SK club member. The display works, but has the infamous
    vertical lines issue. Not only that, the internal speaker is shot, and I think the audio output is low.
    It's been sitting for a while, and hadn't thought about it until I saw your posting.

I did some searching for a replacement, and came across this external display idea.
    Not sure if you've seen it. Looks interesting.

http://www.kinzi.net/node/16
    http://www.kinzi.net/files/www.kinzi.net/tmv7lcd/An_external_Display_for_the_TM-V7

(of course, I don't understand the language in the video above) :(

I also see there is a guy selling a kit to make the display brighter,
    but that doesn't help the vertical lines issue or perhaps your dead
    display issue, either.

5. K7FR

That is exactly what is needed! It sounds like Italian and my Spanish is good enough to figure what he is demonstrating. It appears that he is taking data from the programming port. I'll have to sniff around to see what can be had there.

My other brainstorm was to find another dead V7A control head and grab the data from the 2 chips which drive the LCD. On the surface it looks like a simple send the data to activate each pixel scheme. There are zillions of LCD displays that could be used. Even a simple PC program to display it.

Thanks for getting me this lead. I'll post whatever I find.

Gary K7FR

6. K7FR

Argentina! I've sent him a message via YouTube. Hopefully it pans out.

7. K7FR

Update on quest to resurrect my TM-V7A display.

Thanks to the lead by KE5MC to YouTube videos I have ordered the parts to make my own display. Amazing what things electronic you can buy on Amazon! More to follow.

8. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

I should check with a buddy of mine who has lots of parts he's collected.
    Maybe I wouldn't need to order everything, except buy him a meal. ;)

Something I found sort of interesting was the similarity of the remote head
    of the Kenwood TM-G707, as far as size and places for buttons. Of course,
    it's not a dual display like the TM-V7A.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. K7FR

I'm sure that they did something to make the heads non-interchangeable......like reversing the order of the contacts.

10. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry, I don’t deserve the credit. KC9ONY I believe gets the credit.