TM-V71A programming cable questions

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KE0DWG, Aug 14, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Subscriber QRZ Page

Kenwood provides their own software for free which works just as well. No, it doesn't look like RT Systems (which is good in its own right) but it is free and works perfectly. So, a $7 cable + free software = easy programming of either the Kenwood v71a or D710 radios (the radio this thread is about...).

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, besides the Icom and Yaesu radios I have, I also have a D-710. RT Systems cable works for both the programming, and TNC, and IIRC, I was able to import one of my Yaesu repeater files and shoot it to the 710 with minimal grief.

Since you think the $7 cable is da bomb, we can assume you won't show back up asking for help when you get the infamous Error Code 10 ??

3. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, with RT you get what you pay for and while it may be a little pricey, my experience with it has been headache, error and bug free, so for me it's worth it.

4. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Subscriber QRZ Page

I am certainly not speaking poorly of the RT Systems software - it really is great and extremely easy to use, especially with multiple radio models (copy/paste or importing, as you mentioned). But, the OP asked about his V71A and I was simply stating that the cable from Amazon and the Kenwood software is an option if the OP doesn't want to purchase the RT Systems software right now. I have used the cable on multiple computers and multiple radios and it does the job for what it is (and with no errors, either). If one can swing it, however, the RT Systems is certainly a nice software package to get and does make it extremely easy.

I apologize if my other post sounded flippant or something. Just wanted the OP to know of that option.

5. W7WDM

W7WDM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a cable with the 8 pin data plug but to an RJ45 plug. Will that work