TM-D710GA Sending Email?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KE0QZX, Nov 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE0QZX

KE0QZX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,
    I am struggling to get my new APRS mobile to Message to email. I am following the documented instructions by am not receiving the email message. It appears to send properly. Could it somehow being caught up in a spam filter? Has anyone gotten this to work?

The instructions I am following are:
    Thanks!
    Jayson

2. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it works. There could be multiple issues at play...
    1. Spam filtering of the e-mail.
    2. The APRS gateway your packet went to doesn't handle e-mails.
    3. The domain of the destination e-mail address isn't acceptable to the gateway that would send the e-mail.

I have done this many times, using both the terrestrial APRS network on 144.390 MHz as well as orbiting digipeaters on 145.825 MHz (NO-84/PSAT satellite, ISS). I did a lot of this in 2016 during the ARRL National Parks on the Air, as a way to generate an e-mail message over RF (using a Kenwood TH-D72 or TH-D74 HT). Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Some e-mail addresses seem to never work properly. For example, I don't seem to get e-mails sent to any address on my wd9ewk.net domain, but using my callsign at amsat.org works fine.

73!

3. KE0QZX

Thanks Patrick for your response. I have tried serveral of my email addresses including a gmail account. All of me domains are hosted by the same provider (GatorHost)so I think if one fails they all will. :) I will have to try when I am travel out of the area (Minneapolis) to see if it may be the APRS gateway. Any other troubleshooting recommendtions would be appreciated. I just received my ticket this year and am very new to APRS. I love experimenting and learning new technologies. So far I own a couple UV5Rs, a FT60R, FT 817 and TM-710GA and soon (tomorrow) a TH-D74A.

This leads me to another question......... How do I stop buying radios and antennas to experiment with? Hopefully the TH-D74A will be the last radio for a while. lol

4. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can get to another location where another Internet gateway is operational, that's probably the best way to test on the terrestrial APRS network. Some gateways are configured to not pass third-party traffic, APRS messages that aren't destined for an amateur call sign.

If you wanted to dabble with orbiting digipeaters on the International Space Station or the NO-84 satellite (both are on 145.825 MHz simplex, and use ARISS instead of the WIDE1-1,WIDE2-x path for terrestrial APRS), you could use your TM-D710GA or new TH-D74A for that (I have both, and also a TH-D72A, which see use with satellites and these orbiting digipeaters). Much more about the space-related usage of those radios, APRS, and all things related to satellites can be found in the QRZ Satellite and Space Communications forum (among other places).

73!

KE0QZX likes this.
  5. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

I could never get EMAIL to work. I used EMAIL-2 and it worked fine. They are two different servers hosted by 2 different guys. I don't know the difference really.

KE0QZX likes this.
  6. KE0QZX

Just tried EMAIL-2. Worked. Thanks!!!

7. KE0QZX

For anyone interested in sending an email to and from APRS the following link and shortcut information was very helpful to me. APRS by Email

73 all!

WD9EWK and K6CLS like this.