TM-D710G will not beacon

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KD9CCE, Jun 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KD9CCE

KD9CCE Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings. I have had a few frustrating days with the TM-710G. I am not beaconing. I completed a number of troubleshooting steps, no resolution. One issue I note - my iGPS screen logo is not blinking.

There is a functioning didipeater within 10 miles, I can reach that station on two meters with a good signal.

The radio is receiving and logging APRS signals.

I have attached a screen shot of the radio.

My separate, NUVI GPS unit works at this location as a test.

So my question at this point is, how do I get the iGPS to work?

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Put the control head in a window, the GPS receiver needs a clear view of the sky. My D710 doesn't work indoors.

3. KD9CCE

4. KD9CCE

Thank you. I had it outside the other day for quite a while, still did not pick up the signal and blink. Is there anything else you can think of that I can try? Thanks for your help.

5. KB3KBR

KB3KBR Ham Member QRZ Page

I had aproblem with my vx-8 a couple years ago where it would take hours to get a lock and suck the life out of the battery, my fix was to do a complete wipe and factory reset.

6. K6CLS

Try again, leave it for 30 minutes. It can take that long to "cold start" which means get the ephemeris from the satellites.

Find the POS button on the bottom menus. Then hit the right arrow several times. The display will show bar graphs of the satellites it is receiving. Enjoy the show!

Make sure the control head has a clear view of the sky. Not under leafy trees, between tall buildings, etc.

Oh by the way my experience is the GPS receiver Kenwood uses is vastly superior to the one Yaesu uses.

7. KD9CCE

Thank you for your help. I placed the unit outside for most of the day, no results. Next day took it to an open field, within a few minutes I had a blinking iGPS and the unit began beaconing. It now works back here at my property also. What a long haul and a lot of frustration and time for a simple issue, Kenwood should include this in their documentation. Thanks again for your assistance, greatly appreciated.

8. K6CLS

Great! Glad it's working for you. Should work within a few minutes from now on.

73!