ad: RichCrouch-1

TM-D710 for Sats?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by K5UNX, Aug 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to have an ancient netbook with Windows 98 specifically for running Kenwood firmware updates, but haven't done that in a few years. And I don't actually do APRS on my rig itself, but leave it in packet mode. This is the preferred way to run YAAC, so it handles the APRS decoding and provides some nice software-driven radio views.

I've considered selling my TM-V71A + RC-D710 and getting the TM-D710GA, but I don't think there's enough of a difference to warrant the trouble.

73, KD0KZE / Paul

2. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Other than the control heads (the packet/APRS stuff in the TM-D710GA is in the control head), the TM-V71A you have and the TM-D710GA are identical. They use the same radio "box", except for the part that holds the control head on the TM-V71A, and the two models share the same FCC ID number. The control head for the TM-D710GA is similar to your RC-D710, in that there's no way you can mount them on the radio "box".

73!

N4DJC and KD0KZE like this.
  3. N4DJC

N4DJC Ham Member QRZ Page

@KD0KZE

That's a nice set up you have, I don't see any reason to change.

The D710GA is a very solid rig, I would recommend it to anyone interested in APRS / FM sats. Been very happy with my purchase.

I'm looking forward to the new ARISS rigs being put in service.

AD7DB, WD9EWK and KD0KZE like this.
  4. N5SMO

N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know if someone mentioned it already, but beware the duplexor in the Arrow antenna is only rated for 10watts power max. With the D710, you can easily exceed that.

KB0MNM likes this.