TM-731a CMOS Reseting Itself

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by W5CNW, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W5CNW

W5CNW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm... I'll remember to check that cap when I get a chance to take it apart.

2. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

You hope nobody notices you. You use AR for this? How do you communicate with mall security and the PD with your direct radio link?

For some reason I read IC-731a (a HF rig). DOH!!!!

Congratulations on the new call sign

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Why did you get off topic , after being asked Not too ? The answer is Money.

Cliff,

When you do look for the bad cap, I would check all of the Tantalum type.

They are easy to spot , easy to check in circuit. They are bad about shorting out, Then smoking open.

Did I miss the model of your power supply ?

The output looked fairly clean, the way it starts up could be part of a soft start design. Should not be a problem.

Did you have a load on the supply when testing ?

Congratulation on the new call. (Sorry about getting off topic.)

4. KE7LRA

KE7LRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Speaking of cops...

5. KG4CGC

KG4CGC Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't believe this is legal use of the Amateur Radio Service. This is important. You should be using professional radios coordinated with the agencies you're communicating with or just use your cellphones.
    Amateur radio gear is not FCC type accepted for what you're doing with them or for going outside the amateur bands and that's a pretty serious issue. I'm surprised the mods here have let this thread run this long since QRZ does not support any kind of illegal activity.
    #business/police/fireradio

6. KA9JLM

Very good point.

I know a lot of nets do this for emergency and it is Legal , but maybe not so much unless it is a true emergency.

I did not read that the 2 meter rig was transmitting on a police frequency. I would not think so.

7. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Because this is an open forum, and when someone openly discusses the usage of our spectrum in a manner that is contrary to the rules and regulations lain out by the FCC; I think that is VERY open to discussion on a amateur radio forum.

8. KA9MOT

Because the OP took it "off topic". Helping this young man repair his rig is important, but isn't it more important to question him about the safety issues resulting from a group of people driving around the local mall playing mall cop in vehicles that already look different because they have antennas and people trying to look clandestine as they whisper into microphones when they see activity that is suspicious...... especially when one is a minor. Isn't it more important that some whacker club isn't teaching a young and new extra that it is OK to use his radio illegally?

This is a disaster waiting to happen. The latest shooting at that Oregon mall is a perfect example. What are the financial implications if one of these people gets injured or killed.

So please tell us Mr. QRZ thread police, do we stay "on topic"?

9. KA9JLM

I guess people need more Guns and less radios.

That shooting could have been prevented if more people were aware.

Just as soon close this thread, and move on.

The OP wanted to fix a radio and not get the third degree.

I guess you all just need someone to bully.

Good luck with that, I hope it works for you...

10-4 Over and out, as Barnie Fife would say...

10. KA9MOT

Bully? My questions were based on concern for the kids safety mostly. I'm also concerned that some club is leading him away from the lawful operation he agreed to when he signed his ticket. Call that bullying if you wish to appear ignorant. It is up to the more experienced operator to point the new guys in the right direction. Not put them in harms way.

And remember, when he told us he was using his radio to help provide security for a private business, he took this thread off topic.

I'm sure you know all about Barney Fife

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.