TL-922a mods worth it?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KD8WU, Nov 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KD8WU

KD8WU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all:

Several years ago I bought a TL-922a from someone here on QRZ. Unfortunately I never set it up and it has been sitting on the shelf, still in the shipping boxes, ever since.

This is a virgin amplifier, and is still an "a".

Now I'm considering selling it. Other that waking it up and checking it out, what else should I do? Are any of the modifications (10 meters, soft-start, ect.) worth doing before I sell it?

Thank you,
    Bob - KD8WU

2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wouldn't put money into an older amp prior to selling it. When I buy an older piece of gear I'm more than happy to do any mods that I find useful, that's half the fun. I doubt you'll substantially increase the resale price but you will invest your own time and money in doing the mods that might or might not be useful to the next buyer. Sure firing it up and testing it out makes sense but personally I wouldn't modify any circuitry if it works as is.

K1ZJH, KU3X and WA7PRC like this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wouldn't, either; but do plug it in and try using it to be certain it actually works -- otherwise sell it "as is" with no guarantee of anything.

The tubes can go bad just sitting on the shelf, and that may have happened. Depends on the tubes and some luck.

WA7PRC likes this.
  4. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree . . . don't bother if you're selling it.

You'll also find a lot of Mods suggested online, that others say are stupid !

The only Mods I did when I got my TL-922 a couple of years ago was to directly ground the grids. (a very simple mod, and quite worthwhile). And I just turn it on via a simple external resistor/switch in the mains lead, as a manual soft-start (just to save all the components from the switch-on surge).

Why are you getting rid of it? In my opinion, it's one of the best-engineered amps in its class ! (I looked for one for ages before I found one I could afford)

Roger G3YRO

5. KD8WU

KD8WU Ham Member QRZ Page

I already have another TL-922, and an AL-811H.

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The A did not come with 10M installed and selling with the poor sunspots shouldnt hurt the value.

Most, if not all, published mods for that amp are a waste of time, let a new owner make his own decisions.

Carl

WG7X likes this.
  7. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Carl is right on!

Sell it as is. Let the new owner experience the "joy" of firing up an amp that has been sitting unused for quite a while. I experienced that same "joy" myself when I decided to resurrect my TL-922 that I had not used for many years. Ran the 240 volt line, plugged the amp in, tuned it on, and literally let the sparks fly!

Snap! Crackle! and Pop! followed by that unmistakable burnt electronics smell. I learned my lesson that day... Also learned more about that amp than I ever wanted to know in the few years that followed. Yes, the '922 is a well engineered, solid amp, but a PITA to work on due to the compact size.

I eventually replaced it with an Ameritron AL-82. Another solid amp, using easily sourced parts and acres of space inside if I ever need to get into it. I've had that one for probably a decade now with zero issues...

8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

List as:
    This amp is used, in unknown condition and is being sold for repair or parts only. That is mandatory to save you from eating the selling price when the new owner complains to Ebay which is a very common ham scam these days.

WG7X likes this.
  9. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

i love the kenwood hybrids and always wanted that amp in my station to go with my radios. Found out all it s short comings and left that idea alone.

Not sure what the demand is for that particular amp. I had a ten tec 422b, pristine condition, and could only get rid of it in a trade. Good luck.

10. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't understand the negativity about the TL922 . . .

I think it's a brilliant amp !

Really well engineered . . . very reliable . . . and very easy to work on if you do need to.

I had always fancied one for years, and I spoke to LOADS of owners before buying mine last year, and they all had nothing but praise for it.

Mine still has the original Eimac 3-500Zs . . . yet still gives full power.

Roger G3YRO

KI4AX likes this.