TK-2180 password reset

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KD2QQF, Apr 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KD2QQF

KD2QQF Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a handful of retired(i.e. pulled from an e-waste pile after a business closed) Kenwood TK-2180's I'm attempting to repurpose into ham HT's.

I got the software and programming cable today. When I attempt to connect to the radios, it requests a 6 digit numerical passcode, both for read and write. Since these were from e-waste, I have no way to asking the previous owner for the password, or even the business, as they're semi-closed(they're from a division of my employer, and managed by an outside company). I highly doubt the outside company will hand over the passcode, and my employer probably has no idea.

I have read that if I use a "engineer" activation key for the programming software, it unlocks a password bypass tool, but the key I have is the same one I've seen referred to as the engineer key and I haven't found such a tool.

The ony good thing it that the password is limited to an up to 6 digit numerical code, so I"m only looking at ~100,000 potential options.

I'm kind of hoping there is an easy way to do a hard factory reset. I've got several of these radios, all from the same source. So far I've found 2 in my stash, but I recall more hand mics than radios and I've four 4 hand mics.

Anyone have input on bypassing the read/write passwords on these radios? I' found several threads online regarding people having his issue, but no answer as to what the solution is.

2. KD2QQF

KD2QQF Ham Member QRZ Page

I figured out a way around. Now working on an adapter cable for the Mobilinkd TNC3 that's supposed to be here Wednesday

3. KK6EUT

KK6EUT Ham Member QRZ Page

Curious what the progress of this project is and how you plan to turn these into HT's! Any updates?