Title of this forum

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by N0NB, Nov 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

It strikes me that the title of this forum could benefit from a bit of tweaking. For starters, the "low bands" have, as long as I've been interested in amateur radio (nearing 37 years), been made up of 40m, 80m, and 160m. So perhaps to avoid confusion the first part of the title could be "The Lowest Bands".

Second, neither of these bands is in the VLF region. This seems to be the more egregious error in the name as 630m is in the ITU designated MF region of the spectrum (300 kHz to 3 MHz) and 2200m is in the ITU designated LF region of the spectrum (30 kHz to 300 kHz). I would like to propose that the title of this forum be amended as follows:

The Lowest Bands - 630/2200 Meters - MF/LF

As this site gets much traffic, I think it is in our better interest to name the forum as accurately as possible.

W0BTU, NQ1B and W7UUU like this.
  2. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

I was wondering how long it going to take for someone to point this out.
    Tom WA4ILH

3. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred came up with the title, so you would have to contact him about making any changes.

Glen, K9STH

K9ASE likes this.
  4. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

To be honest, since joining this Forum, I've felt that LOTS of section titles would benefit from being changed ! Then people would have a better idea where to post questions.

I think at present, many people have no idea where to post a problem with a particular transceiver!

For example - the "Boat Anchor" section. For a start, despite being licensed for nearly 50 years, I've never even heard that term before (isn't this meant to be an international forum?)

Changing it to something like "Earlier Equipment with Tubes/Valves" would then mean people would know where to post questions about Hybrid rigs . . . an FT101 is hardly a "boat anchor" - it's as compact as many of the current top end transceivers.

Then the section currently titled "Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance" could be renamed something like "Later Equipment, all Solid State"

Roger G3YRO

5. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Really?

I've been licensed for 47 years and always knew the term and what it meant.

Just surprised you never heard of it.

VK6APZ likes this.