ad: M2Ant-1

Titanic sinking SOS simulation, no place for a novice here!

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W9RAC, Jun 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a cool link of a simulation of the message sent out from the Titanic. I'm not sure of the speed its way over my ability to copy accurately. I suspect he was in a real hurry! Looks like it had a 5KW station and operated on 500 KHz. Can you even imagine being on the receiving end of such a message. Very cool but sad. 73 Rich

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  2. W9RAC

3. W9RAC

4. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Think about this for just a millisecond, how many ops of the day could be EFFECTIVE on a frequency like 500 kHz let alone something even lower, in 1912?

I think it was other commercial ops of the day, being called "amateur" or unprofessional might be a better term maybe?

W5BIB and KA0HCP like this.
  5. W9RAC

I'm sure it was a mess. I can't even imagine stumbling across a mayday call with such importance. The equipment of the day surely was lacking so I'm not surprised of the mixed up reports or the like. Some of the reporting was eventually in err at sea also. Not sure what the quality of CW being send may have been under the pressure of the situation either. Very interesting information. 73 Rich

WB5WPA likes this.
  6. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have absolutely no idea how fast the operators on the Titantic sent their distress message.

The following two links are recordings of real recordings of real SOS's and include much of the follow up traffic from both shore stations and other ships. One outcome resulted in all being rescued and the other resulted in only 3 being saved.

https://archive.org/details/SosMsPrinsendamOctober41980
    https://archive.org/details/SsMarineElectricWoohSos

In both cases the CW is faultless even though both the operators were aware the outcome may result in their own life being lost - and was in the case of the Marine Electric/WOOH operator!

Both SOS's were sent on the International Calling and Distress frequency 500 khz, this frequency being widely referred to by those who operated at sea, as 'Five ton"

W9RAC likes this.
  7. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

I very much doubt that the actual distress call from the Titanic was sent
    using this speed, at least 20 WPM.
    Spark transmitters of yesteryear had slow keying characteristics and would start to "lag"
    at even lower keying rates.

The only "real" 500 kHz SOS I ever heard during my years at SDJ was when the
    Polish train ferry Jan Heweliusz capsized east of RĂ¼gen in mid-January 1993.

From what I recall the distress call and message were preceded by the autoalarm signal
    and then sent with about 12 - 15 WPM.
    Since the accident occurred within Danish and German shore-based VHF coverage,
    there was very little 500 kHz follow-up traffic.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

W9RAC, W5BIB and M6GYU like this.
  8. KE6EE

KE6EE Ham Member QRZ Page

Only about 22 wpm. Poor buzzy tone, probably typical of spark era transmitters.

Otherwise, well-sent, very clear code. In later decades 20 to 25 wpm would be typical
    speed for commercial traffic under a wide range of conditions.

An account of the sinking says that sending speeds were 21 wpm and 15 wpm.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    W9RAC likes this.
  9. KI7RS

KI7RS Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoy this YouTube video of the CW transmissions surrounding the Titanic sinking. I'm not sure how accurate it is???

10. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

Somewhere on the 'net' there is a direct transcript or copy of what was logged by one or more of the other ships.