Tips for new or aspiring CW Ops

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W9RAC, Oct 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

The appropriate response to "QRZ? QRZ?" or even worse, "QRZ QRZ" in lieu of CQ or listening for a clear frequency is,

" NO ONE CALLED U [BT] CK UR EQUIPMENT [BT] GL [AR] DE WAIGXC

Barf.

2. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

<<Andi>> beat me to the response.

Automated investment trading..... and many others we have never even heard of, possibly in experimental or conceptual phase right now.

United Parcel Service---Maritime digital modes---Error-correcting wide-band digital protocols-----Governments and military use those right now on HF. Those sounds that remind you of being in the
    middle of a hurricane - "STANAG" digital modes with massive RF power--on HF everywhere around the world.

Here's the thing about technology. New modes of communication are always unimagined until they're perfected. And then the infrastructure is obvious. Who would have thought of AMTOR,
    AX.25 Packet, JT-8 even 5 years before their public debuts?

They weren't obvious until they were obvious.

They don't want our airwaves because we're powerless hams. They want our airwaves because there's money to be made.

"The business of America is business."
    --Calvin Coolidge

The really-good thing about Ajit Pai no longer being Chairman of the FCC is that lesser-intellect hustlers have taken his place.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    OE3IAK likes this.
  3. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

I oftentimes wish somebody would; roundtable cw QSO's can be a lot of fun, and are too infrequent these days.

W9RAC and N8RKD like this.
  4. N8RKD

N8RKD Ham Member QRZ Page

CW QSO's in general are too infrequent these days. Let's change that.

PU2OZT and W5ESE like this.
  5. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

Here are some tips from a bygone era; mostly still valid today (except for the part about tuning around the band looking for responses; extremely few are crystal-controlled these days).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1foskRklp51zM5IT4RRGhnQPy7QGXYeAP/view

and some older infromation (the ARRL used to provide these leaflets free to members; I have a few copies from the 1960's and 1970's I should scan).

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-DX/Miscellaneous/operating an amateur.pdf

The voice phonetics are obviously far out of date.

WA1GXC likes this.
  6. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have done a round table a couple of times, it is fun for sure! 73 RAC

7. W9RAC

CW tip for the day for the new guys. When you are hanging around some of the straight key frequencies such as 7050, 10.120 or maybe in some the areas where newer guys can get a feel <>(7.115) for some on air chatting be certain to have your R.I.T. (clarifier) engaged for your receive. That way if the other guy is transmitting a tad off or you want to change his tone you will not be "walking" up and down the band. This will change your receive frequency only so he will not notice but if he is running older equipment that may drift you can follow him without changing your transmit frequency. Don't forget to adjust it back to same as transmit frequency when you are done. 73 Rich

WA1GXC and OE3IAK like this.
  8. KD2RDG

KD2RDG Ham Member QRZ Page

Not trying to give you a hard time but I thought the rule was you were supposed to reply to a CQ on the transmitting station's frequency, even if that is not exactly a round number. RIT is useful if the other station replies to your CQ off frequency or if they are drifting or you just want to hear a different tone.

OE3IAK and WA1GXC like this.
  9. W9RAC

I thought that is what I said? Maybe I'm not understanding what you are saying. Use it on the receive end of your rig to tune the guy in if he drifts or the like. 73 Rich

KD2RDG likes this.
  10. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed. I find it easier, if not faster, to just have a "long" pause, like say one or two characters. Odds are, a blown letter is immediately obvious to everyone listening. A pause and a restart on the word is pretty obvious as to why.