Tips for new or aspiring CW Ops

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W9RAC, Oct 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Mostly meant for those new guys who are of course always a great addition on the air. "AS" sent as a pro sign means "please wait/standby" . I'm not sure this is something many new code practitioners seem to know. I do know many thumb thru here reading and the like so its a great place to learn. It is send as a single character, will not sound like the word "as". Its very quick and helpful when something comes up as always seems to does during an exchange or QSO.
    It is normal for the receiving Op. to acknowledge with "R"
    73 Rich

AI5DD, K0UO, KB3HXG and 8 others like this.
  2. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting, I can’t recall using that prosign. Good one.

3. W4HAY

W4HAY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The hams I've talked with have used "QRX".

4. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I had an OP send me “QRX” just this week and I had to look it up. I always use “AS” but that was because it was all I knew about.

Now I know both. :)

PU2OZT likes this.
  5. OE3IAK

OE3IAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Correct me if I am wrong, I haven't seen this often either, but
    AS
    would be a quick "Hang on just a second!" or "Please wait a moment, you're interrupting us" while
    QRX <x> AS
    would mean "Please stand by, I will be calling again in <x> minutes!"

So, the simple AS is just for quickly trying to get control of a QSO otherwise spoiled, while for example QRX 5 AS would be a whole valid transmission.

M6GYU, WB5YUZ, WA1GXC and 1 other person like this.
  6. W9RAC

Mostly used for a brief hold in the QSO. Maybe a 30 second break or so or less. Longer breaks no, QRX could be used. One is a pro sign, one is a Q-code. So if the cat was crying to get out I'd "AS", let the cat out and return. If I had a lengthy phone call I might start with "AS" and if I see its going to be awhile, QRX. "AS" is meant to be quick however I have noticed many times Ops. will think its a turn over and start sending so I always wait for a "R" confirmation. I always send it twice because I want an acknowledgment it is understood. 73 Rich

AI5DD, OE3IAK and PU2OZT like this.
  7. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page

W1Aw transmits AS usually fairly quickly followed by BT...hear it every time I copy their code.

And I have never heard W1AW use BK...

8. W9RAC

I'm a little confused at the use of "BK". I experience its use daily as mostly "back to you" along with BTU. Or when joining back into the conversation without the calls. For years I never used it in those types of context but since everyone else does now so do I. Maybe the use meaning has changed or I just miss understood it originally. 73 Rich, BTU, BK

KA2CZU and AD0HT like this.
  9. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page

Confused - me too. If not breaking in, I have not and do not intend to use BK as a transfer code prosign.

Seems TU sent as individual characters is shorter and creates no confusion.

W9RAC likes this.
  10. OE3IAK

OE3IAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that the matter discussed is <BK> - I've to ask here how a quick exchange between to parties is correctly done.
    Usually it's N0CALL de OE3IAK blahblah <AR> N0CALL de OE3IAK <KN>
    If N0CALL wants a repeat of some detail, does he do
    <BK> pse aa blah <BK>
    ? How do I do a proper exchange when skipping callsigns? In an ongoing conversation, I am not required to use the callsign in every transmission, so much time can be saved.

W9RAC likes this.