Tips for Navy Flameproof Users

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K9ALT, Mar 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KB5ZCR

KB5ZCR Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a navy flameproof on ebay last month, worked sometimes, didn't others.
    I took the bottom off to try and figure it out.
    It's very hard to get to the contacts to clean them that was the problem with this key.
    I finely got some contact cleaner and a piece of paper between them to get them working but I never was able to actually "LOOK" at the contacts.

Other than trying to get to the contacts, otherwise I really like this key.
    It's designed differently inside that any key I've seen before (I'm only used to the standard key).

Thanks, Tim
    KB5ZCR

2. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My all time favorite, I remember when I was in Junior High the local surplus store sold them for like $2. I paid more.

K9ALT likes this.
  3. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The navy flameproof is one of my favorite straight keys. I hold it like others have posted, index finger on top and thumb and second figure gently pinching the lower flat knob. Some like a higher center knob, some like a flat plate, either way it's easy enough to swap out the knob for a different style if the key's knob doesn't suit you in it's current configuration. The nice part about this key is the soft but crisp action as compared to something like a J38. Like any key a large solid base really helps the it shine.

K9ALT likes this.
  4. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Using a Navy Knob, my thumb is 'blowin'-in-the-wind' :p I use my index finger on top of the knob, & my middle finger on the lower flange.
    I like my key to have a very small closure for the contacts & quite-a-bit of tension, so, I actually use two fingers to close the contact on a short Navy Knob & just the index finger on the TALL Navy Knob like this key has.

Even when using a Flat 'Knob', I use the index finger to key with & the middle finger just rides along-side - once again; the Thumb is just 'blowin'-in-the-wind' :D

Perhaps this old video shows what I'm talking about a little bit better:
    The key is a Chinese Military K-4 with a TALL NAVY Knob (NOT a J-44 as I mentioned during a brain-fart)

I've keyed this way for over 58 years & it still works for me :) (YMMV)

77, 72/73

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    K9ALT and W1BR like this.
  5. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The best way for you to tap that key is whatever is most comfortable for you. "Different strokes for different folks."

K9ALT and W5BIB like this.