ad: wmr-1

Tip for keeping vertical antenna radials below grass

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KC8HQS, Jun 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

After you have laid the radials let your grass grow to 2- 2 1/2 inches in height. Raise the mower to cut it that height and leave it like that all summer. You will have better looking grass, less weeds and you won't need to water it unless you have an extreme drought!

No need to scalp your lawn, it stays healthier if you leave it long during the summer months. Been doing that for years and have not had any weed problems or grass that browns out. I never water it, waste of water.

Less chance of a radial getting wound up in the mower blade too. :D

2. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

I buried my radials using a device attached to my lawn tractor. A sickle bar mower blade from TSC bolted on the end of a 2" X 1/4" flat iron bar clamped to the tractor so that the blade when lowered penetrated the ground about 1.5". I marked the end of each radial with a flag like they use to mark buried utilities. Position the tractor at each flag, lower the blade, drive toward the antenna, insert the wire in the grove and push the slit closed. Repeat for next flag. In a couple of months all evidence of the process had disappeared.

Bob

3. KF7MBM

KF7MBM Ham Member QRZ Page

The machines are still around. I've seen them used for pulling underground sprinkler system tubing. That would be a great way to get coax or control cables out to a remote location. You might even be able to rent one.

Michael

4. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Don't lower the radials, raise the grass.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have close to 2400' of wire to trench into my back yard (a 70' x 100' space) for my 160m vertical. I found a wire trencher for rent at ONE local (independent) rental yard. They call it a BlueBird Int'l "BedBug" #BB550A Landscape Edger. With the cable layer attachment, it is model CL550A, and puts the cable a few inches below ground level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.