ad: Amateur-1

Tinytrak 4 and gps " screen "

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by OZ2EVP, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. OZ2EVP

OZ2EVP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi .

I was wondering if someone here know if tomtom or Garmin gps can show aprs positions on the gps , and maybe navigate to them ??

I know that Avmap Works , but it is in the high Price end for me rght now .

Best regards
    OZ2EVP / Erik

2. AC2EV

AC2EV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a Garmin Nuvi with my ArgentData Tracker2 (radio and opentracker in one package). It seems to work well. It's not as nice as an AVMAP. The Nuvi can be bought online for as little as $35. I've used it to navigate via APRS and see who's around. APRS positions show up in the favorites list and you touch them to navigate to them. You need a cable that goes from the Nuvi to the tracker and then it talks Garmin Protocol. The Nuvi can send/receive messages via APRS but it's very awkward as you have to keep switching the keyboard from letters, numbers, and symbols to get it typed out.

3. W9CMG

W9CMG Guest

What model Nuvi do you have for this? And, do you know if any other models will work?

4. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The older Garmins with a serial port (before USB) will do this. I've got a Garmin GPS45 from about 1996, and a GPS V from a few years later that both work well with the TinyTrak 4. Every time a position packet is heard on the air, it creates a waypoint named with the station's ID, with the proper location. You can see them on the map, and navigate to them. The waypoints move around as newer updated position reports are received. Your own station has a waypoint created for it, that also updates its position every time the TinyTrak beacons your position out to the air.

Both of these GPS units have small monochrome screens, with low resolution. The GPS45 has very low resolution, and absolutely no basic map data, only your tracks and the waypoints you enter yourself or the waypoints that come in via the TinyTrak. The GPS V has a basic map covering major highways in the US, but no street-level maps built in. It does have the ability to download street level maps into flash memory for a small area, but not enough memory is available to cover more than about one major metropolitan area at a time. IOW, they're very primitive antiques compared to most GPS units available today.

They're long ago discontinued, but available used on places like eBay for very little money. If you want to try something like this, I'd recommend at least a GPS III or GPS V.

5. OZ2EVP

OZ2EVP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.