ad: cq2k-1

Timewave ANC-4 Adding A Foot Switch Via Relay

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by N7BB, Jul 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N7BB

N7BB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello!

It's been quite a few years since I passed my Extra Class test. Admittedly, I have lots of antenna making skills and experience, but I'm quite rusty on simple circuits.

I've never actually wired a relay before. It seems simple enough, but at the risk of damaging equipment I can't afford to replace right now, I'm reaching out to the collective knowledge base!

I want to add a foot switch in line with my ANC-4 DC power cord. I want to do this because oftentimes the relays inside the ANC-4 click on/off during transmit because my Noise Sense antenna is too close to my transmit antenna. I cannot re-locate the noise sense antenna. Oftentimes I just switch the ANC-4 off during transmit, but this is a pain.

I think I need a Normally Closed relay. It seems simple enough, but I'm confused about the grounding.

From my DC power strip, I should apply Positive and Negative wires to the corresponding terminals on a relay. Another terminal will power my ANC-4 "normally closed". Another set of terminals will be wired to my foot switch. I can open the circuit when the foot switch is pressed, which will (or should) momentarily cut the power from the ANC-4 while I'm transmitting.

Most diagrams I see only have one positive wire to the "device". This is where I need wiring help.

I want to make sure I purchase the right type of relay for this application! I see many automotive relays on Amazon which are relatively inexpensive. Suggestions are appreciated.

Sure, I could probably just wire a SPST switch inline with the DC power cord to the ANC-4. The relay seems like a cool project & also it's practice for me. I have future plans of making a remote ladder line antenna switch using relays.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for your help!

2. N7BB

Image.png This may be overkill, but Pos/Neg to Power supply, two terminals to DC plug on the ANC-4, the other two to the foot switch?

3. N7BB

I suppose I'm in the wrong forum. I'll re-post elsewhere.

4. AH6GT

AH6GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hope you have gotten your ANC-4 foot switch working. I found your post here because my ANC-4 also clicks when I am transmitting.
    I am thinking that some heavy ferrite on all the wires and cables coming into the box might help, but have not done so yet.
    Anyway, 73 and Aloha.
    Konabob AH6GT