ad: wmr-1

Time To Change The Contest Rules

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE3II, Mar 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AC4BB @ April 12 2004,23:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I  don't  know  Paul  your  the  fellow  with the big  brain and  all the  answers.  Or could it  be  that  you've  been the  rotten  apple  all along.? And   contesting  needed to cull  you from the apple barrel a long time ago.  It's like I told  you  at the  very  beginning  of this  topic,   You  are  an  egotistic, oneframed pure -grade  Rable rouser  and  somewhere  down the line  God help you  you're   going  to  wake  up  and  see  that  your  not  that  bright.  But, you've  got  to  get  enough   rope  to  hang  your  self to  see that.   Take  your  friend  Matt's  advice "wake  up  and  smell  the  coffee." You  like  to  find  everyone else'  faults to reinforce your self.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Just as I thought.... no answers just more name calling and spin.

Me... a bad apple?   Well OM, I could prove to you that you're wrong by telling you all kinds of positive things that I've done for the hobby... but that would fall on your deaf ears.   And I could also argue pretty successfully that you are the "egotistic, oneframed pure -grade  Rable rouser."   But again... you'd just come up with different names to call me and more spin.  

Anyway....  maybe if you'd just answer the questions that everyone has for you... with just a speck of logic and common sense.... we'd all quit bothering you.  Everyone knows that the reason you haven't answered one question is because you can't... you don't have a logical answer to any of the questions that anyone has given you... and that's the way it is D.

Now... here's another fact about me OM.  I usually do avoid your little "SSTV Window" during a contest.   I don't do it because of this "gentlemen's agreement" that you speak of, I avoid it because I know that folks like you will intentionally QRM me with your SSTV garbage if I do go there... even if it hasn't been in use for hours on end.   And I'd imagine that there are lot of people in the contesting community that feel the same way.

How about answering this question with a simple YES or NO.  

Keeping in mind the R2 band plan...

14000 - 14070 CW  
    14070 - 14095 Digimode, CW  
    14095 - 14099,5 Packet, Digimode, CW  
    14099,5 - 14100,5 IBP/NCDXF  
    14100,5 - 14112 Packet, Phone, CW  
    14112 - 14225 Phone, CW  
    14225 - 14235 SSTV, FAX, Phone, CW  
    14235 - 14350 Phone, CW

....my question is the following

"If someone operates SSB on 14.232, is it OK for you or anyone else intentionally QRM them?"  

And this assumes that the freq is not in use by anyone else.

YES  or NO?

2. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

OOOhh,,,

Now I know where the term,,,"Beating Your Head Against The Wall" came from....

And now I'm feeling sorry for Glen...He has to read this stuff whether he enjoys it or not.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kb0uzr @ April 13 2004,00:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Now I know where the term,,,"Beating Your Head Against The Wall"  came from....

And now I'm feeling sorry for Glen...He has to read this stuff whether he enjoys it or not.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Tell me about it!   Some people just don't get it... no matter how easy you make it for them to understand.  I'm afraid the OM AC4BB falls into that category. I could show him that 2 + 2 = 4 with facts and statistics.... and prove it to him without any shadow of a doubt.... and he'll go to his grave swearing that 2 + 2 = 8... and he'll be ranting and raving about it all the way there without offering any evidence to back up his silly claim... much like he's been doing all along here.

And if you think that Glen reads all this stuff, you've got another thing coming.    He specifically says that he is not responsible for anything that's written by anyone (thank goodness.... I'm sure he wouldn't want to read any of AC4BB's nonsense).... and he will only remove posts than are threatening or have foul language.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AC4BB @ April 13 2004,00:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No,  There   again you'rethe   spin  doctor.  I'm taking  your logical advise  I'm  going  to  change  frequencies  every  few  minutes  as  to  not  make it  appear  that  I'm trying to claim  a  frequency  but, to rotate  around  and  if  by  some  chance  someone  complains that  Ishouldn't  be  there  well, you know i'd
    just  have  to  tell the truth that an angry  mob  said  for  me  to  go  operate  elsewhere   and  who  am  I.? Just  one  individual  trying  to  find a  place  and then of coursewithout  causing  malicious  interference m or a hint thereof    I  move a  KC or2  and  lo and behold,  someone  say "Hey old  man you  don't  belong  here". Why  don't  go  back  where  you  belong?.  I'd  love to  but  you  know  how  it  is  I was  under  the  spell of the  spin  doctor and  he  told  me  to  move  off  from  where   I  would  normally  operate because they had  taken over  the traditional  place  that  I operate.  Well,  you know  good  and  well  you  have  a "gentlemen's agreement"and  you  wouldn't  move  around  and  bother  us.  "So  scram"  Oh, I  can't the  spin  doctor  has  invalidated  the "gentleman's  agreement" and if I go  back there  why, he'd  put  carriers  on  me  and say  dirty  awful things about  non  contesters.  Oh.  I  can't  go  there.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ok... well at least I got a NO out of you. So that's a start. I'm not sure that I followed all the rest of your rambling nonsense.... but that leaves me with the impression that you will QRM someone knowingly.

In any event.... since we had reasonable success with the first question... how about another easy YES or NO question

Scenario: On a Thursday afternoon at 2200z, if someone tunes across 14.232, listens to it for a couple minutes without hearing anything but the quiet hisssssss of atmospheric noise... not a living sole or machine anywhere near the freq, (here comes the question)....

"IS IT OK FOR THAT PERSON TO CALL CQ ON SSB ON THAT FREQUENCY AND CARRY ON A RAG CHEW OR WORK DX?"

Yes or No ?

5. KI4CYB

KI4CYB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Im hooked reading this novel... Hehehe

Anyone now what the "D." Mean?  "and that's the way it is D."  

[​IMG]

73, KI4CYB

6. KZ9U

KZ9U Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AC4BB @ April 12 2004,22:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, you  mow  your  grass  and  I'll mow  mine  ok.  Proves you  aren't perfect either don't it  superman?.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

How so? I never accused you of making posts that you didn't. Pay attention to the callsigns, Sparky.. You have accused me of making comments that I didn't. I haven't done that. That was someone else.

7. KZ9U

KZ9U Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AC4BB @ April 13 2004,01:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You  just  tell me  all the  positive  things  that  you've  done  for the  hobby.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Why should anyone answer even one of your questions when you refuse again and again to answer ours?

Where are the pictures of your QSL cards?

What call were you running under when you made your 1500 contacts in a contest?

What have I said here which legitimates you calling me a liar?

Where is it written that SSTV has rights to any one frequency?

Should I continue asking the questions you have refused to answer?

8. KB9UWU

KB9UWU Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AC4BB @ April 12 2004,23:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PaulK9PG @ April 12 2004,22:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AC4BB @ April 12 2004,22:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No problem Paul, I'll be there buddy. and you can bet I'll be all over all the bands. And when someone bellyaches about me being there I'll tell them " Hey, too bad take it up with K9pg and kb9uwu and the others because they told me nothing's protected and the gloves are off.

NOW, HOW DO YOU WANT IT BIG MAN.?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    As long as you stick to the band plan, you do whatever rolls your socks up and down.

14000 - 14070 CW
    14112 - 14225 Phone, CW
    14235 - 14350 Phone, CW

Here it is again in case you missed it OM. Might want to print that out.

And if you want to blame me and KB9UWU for your own poor operating habits.... knock yourself out.

>>NOW, HOW DO YOU WANT IT BIG MAN.?

Looks like your caps lock got stuck there OM... but I'll take an Acom 2000 since you're offering. That's fairly big and should fit in my shack just fine.... man. Ship it to my call book address.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    No my caps weren't stuck that was JUST FOR YOU.

I'm telling you like it is Don't rock the boat. because with the general exception of you and about 10 more contesters. the contest and non-contesters have had a pretty good operating relationship and co - existed mighty well. It would behoove you to as I said don't open Pandoras box here because you probably won't like the results. And the contesters have until now with some exceptions have pretty much got whatever they wanted. But, you and the others start some crap then you may see changes in the rules. Better save that ego trip or whatever kind of trip you're currently on for birdwatching or some other concurence but not here.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    LOL Yeah, Right.. Like there gonna change the rules for a few ignorant people that don't know the band plans and think they "own" a freq.

But, I MUST agree with AC4BB on ONE thing!!! Contesters and NON contesters usually do get along fine. Sure theres some ragchewers that will go completely NUTS if you come NEAR them, but I do know some of the HUGE contest stations that just plop down and call CQ till they have a big huge troff made in the band.

I would consider myself a majority in the contesting world. I ask if the frequency is in use, if it is.. I MOVE.

This arguing is going no where.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AC4BB @ April 13 2004,01:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You  just  tell me  all the  positive  things  that  you've  done  for the  hobby.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ok.... I'll give you a few things....  I don't dodge questions:

#1  I wrote an article called "In The Beginning..." in a magazine called "CQ Contest" from its inception in mid 1996 until it folded in late 2001.  The article was aimed at getting the younger generation active in contesting.  I was asked by the CQWW Contest Director to write it.

#2  I helped promote an orginazation called the  WORLD WIDE YOUNG CONTESTERS   by writing a profile on its president in one of the first issues and then doing profiles on dozens of members... constantly promoting the organization in the 6 years of CQ Contest's existance.  It has 416 members to date

#3 Personally donated several radios, computers and other equipment to several Ham Radio Clubs in the Caribbean

#4 Personally introduced several dozen people(can't remember exactly now many... but it's a lot!) to both ham radio and contesting.

That's just a few.... but again OM, this isn't about me... this is about you.  

Now... back to the question at hand here OM...

Keeping in mind the R2 band plan...

14000 - 14070 CW  
    14112 - 14225 Phone, CW  
    14235 - 14350 Phone, CW

....my question is the following
    <h3>
    "If someone operates SSB on 14.232, is it OK for
    you or anyone else intentionally QRM them?"  

YES or NO  ?  
    </h3>

10. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

To PaulK9PG and AC4BB

The two of you are driving this discussion down a rathole. Please stop the tit-for-tat one-liners and rethoric postings. State your case, if you have one, and be done with it. The group as a whole isn't terribly interested in reading an online shouting match between the two of you.

-fred AA7BQ

QRZ.COM

11. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (aa7bq @ April 13 2004,08:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">To PaulK9PG and AC4BB

The two of you are driving this discussion down a rathole.  Please stop the tit-for-tat one-liners and rethoric postings.  State your case, if you have one, and be done with it.  The group as a whole isn't terribly interested in reading an online shouting match between the two of you.

-fred  AA7BQ

QRZ.COM[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    That's been done OM...I've stated my case dozens of times... but this AC4BB still continues with the personal insults and attacks... calls people liars... and refuses to answer any questions posed to him. He's obviously one of the people that cause intentional QRM on the bands... he's already admitted to it once...I'm just trying to figure out what his rationale is.

And he's the one that insists on doing this publicly..... I've tried to email him directly many times... and he just replies with more personal attacks and refuses to answer any questions.... and now says that he has my email blocked.

You should be barking up his tree OM.... why don't you ban him from posting any more of his nonsense... then I guarantee you that this thread will die down.

12. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Paul, Bryan,

Let me see if I can make this more clear as you evidently just don't get it.

You have stooped to attacking your adversary as opposed to attacking his position.  This is known as an ad hominem attack.  A solid giveaway clue is when you find yourself mentioning your adversary's callsign or login ID in every reply.

Of course, your opponent in this case is just as guilty and my point is straightforward - I'm sick of it.  I'm telling you both, right now, to either stop this or I'll simply cut both of you off.

There is no need to defend yourself if someone else makes a personal insult or attack.  By doing so, you drag yourself down to their level and in effect, dignify their response or assertion.  This only fans the flame.

Get over it and agree to disagree.  Stop the name calling and the one-liners or I'll stop it for you.

-fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.