ad: elecraft

Time sync where there's no/no reliable internet.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by ON6KE, Sep 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's actually okay. It's really no different than handling the case in NTP. You find the outliers and you exclude them.

At least with the "NTP bit" you can exclude non-synchronized stations sooner in the process. :) It also helps prevent non-synchronized stations from "chasing" each other as if they are legitimate time sources.

As a footnote, things like this are why I haven't invested more time in the auto-sync project for WSJT-X -- if they would just implement real clock recovery in the mode itself, all this extra stuff is unnecessary. I understand that it's not a simple problem to solve in a performant way, but not solving it leaves people like me to find other less-perfect solutions for off-grid operation.

2. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not being a smart arse, this is a legitimate question: why don't you just sync with an inexpensive GPS dongle? Why go through all this trouble?

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you have any suggested part or model numbers handy? If you have some suggestions, it might help people start searching.

4. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

5. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

KK5JY likes this.
  6. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page