ad: GNOHF-1

Time sync where there's no/no reliable internet.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by ON6KE, Sep 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tell us about that. How do you do it?

K3XR likes this.
  2. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably using his phone as a mobile hotspot and then synching over the Internet.

3. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

I use this software to sync to a USB GPS/GLONASS rcvr ... millisecond accuracy read once a day. Automatic. No internet, no WiFi involved. $14. (Actually, I bought my rcvrs for $8 but waited a month for delivery.)

Apologize again for the excessive accuracy and that I am not using WWV or CHU, but (again) what do you expect for cheap?

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. Exactly.

I only have a Allstar node that needs to have the correct time for the Voice Time announcements.

I never did the FT thing. It sounds like a "Hello, Good-bye" mode for contesting. o_O

AG4RT likes this.
  5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

The good news is this thread offers a number of choices for time sync. Pick the one that works best for you.

6. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a bunch of programs out there that can synchronize a Windows PC (assuming you're running Windows) to an attached GPS dongle. One has been linked to here already.

If you run Linux, you just need to install gpsd and configure the system NTP client to use gpsd as a time source.

Mac, I don't know, but there is probably a non-free port of gpsd that the high priest of the walled garden has determined you have his esteemed permission to run.

7. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

computer-cartoon-shield-22985095.jpg

8. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    NE1U likes this.
  9. ON6KE

ON6KE Ham Member QRZ Page

10. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

I made my own GPS based NTP server out an Arduino. Due to the lack of network propagation issues it’s better than NIST servers are over the internet.

I have a Leo Bodnar GPS reference oscillator for my test equipment as well. Good stuff for the money.

Ed