Time sync where there's no/no reliable internet.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by ON6KE, Sep 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

I have set time by hand in the field using the GPS in my phone as the time source, with good results for FT8.

If you don't have a phone with GPS, a shortwave receiver should be able to receive correct time, either from one of the national time beacons, or by listening to FT8 signals.

The FT8 software shows you the time difference between each decoded message and your local computer clock. You can use this to verify that your clock is close to what the crowd believes to be the correct time.

You don't need perfection, but getting to within a half second should be possible and should work well.

2. ON6KE

ON6KE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello William,
    I just unchecked Use network-provided time on my mobile. It was perfectly in sync with D4 on the PC. I'll check tomorrow around this time to see how far the mobile's clock has wandered of, if it did.
    If that works out nicely I'll then check how quickly the travel laptop goes fast/slow against the mobile clock. Incidentally, why didn't I think of this, getting old..

The other gentlemen, thank you too, good info to also look into, no doubt.

73, good DX

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  3. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not sure how much you want to spend, but we use a Masterclock system to synch up our LANed test computers at work. Works quite well.

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There are plenty of inexpensive GPS dongles on eBay. And there's plenty of free time-sync software to use with them.

Or you can use any GPS receiver with a NMEA output.

Or you can sync your PC manually with the aid of WWV.

:)

5. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I homebrewed my clock, but it only works during the day. Here is a before and after picture:
    [​IMG]

AI3V, WA7PRC, N5AL and 3 others like this.
  6. KE8KOY

KE8KOY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just as a side note, if you own a FTM-400 radio you can hook it up to your computer and use a piece of software called NEMATime2. The software will pull the GPS info in from the radio and use it to sync your computer's clock - no internet needed. Works great. It is what I use in my shack even though I have internet access. Gets me basically perfect time for the shack PC. Just putting it out there for any that might also have similar hardware.

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Are they available in different colors?

WA7PRC likes this.
  8. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, that's what the paint brush is for. :)

WA7PRC, NL7W and K3XR like this.
  9. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Using wwv and a manual time hack has worked for me. You only need to be within +/- 1 second....not milliseconds!

WA7PRC and NL7W like this.
  10. N5AL

N5AL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks very complex. I imagine that you'd need a giant fusion reactor to power that beast! :)

WA9SVD, K6CLS and NL7W like this.