Time sync where there's no/no reliable internet.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by ON6KE, Sep 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. ON6KE

ON6KE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello everyone,
    I'm primarily a CW operator but conditions being what they are I now also spend time on FT8. I'm considering travelling to places where internet is either none existent, not reliable or outrageously expensive.

I'm therefore looking at a plug and play GPS time receiver to keep PC time always correct. I need PPS (pulse per second) to guarantee proper time sync.
    Garmin has their GPS-16x LVC GPS-18x LVC but they're open ended which means soldering thin wires some of them of the same colour albeit with a different colour shade onto both an RS-232 and a USB port, the RS-232 for signalling, the USB port for 5V DC.

Too much trouble for my old eyes, can't be bothered with that anymore. I'd like a plug and play PPS protocol device with a RS-232 connector, with accompanying software, full stop.

I checked the internet, pff.. found a few devices but we're talking a few thousand US$.
    Does anyone have info on a plug and play device costing less than a few hundred US$?

Thank you.
    73, good DX

2. KV4PD

KV4PD Ham Member QRZ Page

3. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

KA4DPO and NL7W like this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

NL7W likes this.
  5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had an internet outage last month and had success manually synching my computer clock manually using the audible sounds start from the massed FT8 signals.

FT8 was usable with around 1 second time difference, FT4 needed closer to a half second. With a couple tries I could easily get the time difference to with about 0.6 seconds and decode nearly all signals on a crowded band.

Alternatively, a cell phone clock could be used as the reference for a manual time hack.

WA8FOZ likes this.
  6. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

NL7W likes this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Use a
    GlobalSat BU-353 USB GPS Receiver
    There is a used receiver on eBay at this moment for $10.95 shipped.
    I use a program called GPS Information there are others.

AI3V and K0UO like this.
  8. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i'm a simple man perhaps but I'd just use WWV to sync my time.

WA9SVD, WE4E, WA8FOZ and 8 others like this.
  9. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is what I was going to suggest. One time I was in the field and I just manually sync my PC time in close proximity to a majority of the FT-8 signals I was seeing and that worked like a charm.

10. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Can't copy WWV down here most of the time these days.