ad: wmr-1

Time Spent: Doing radio vs thinking about radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7TCT, Nov 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W4ZD

W4ZD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, of course. And sometimes a dream gone very wrong. Depends upon the person. What's yer point? :)

2. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

David, we are brothers separated by a common language!

Behold my fantastic cut and paste skills! :)

Noob (also commonly spelled as n00b, newb, or nub) is an internet slang used to describe new, or inexperienced player. It is a misspelling of "newb" (short for newbie), which means an inexperienced newcomer to a particular activity. After a long time of use, the misspelled newb became its own word. To this day, people are constantly confusing "noob" with "newb", claiming that it means a new or inexperienced player, but that is not usually the intention of the user of the word.

http://roblox.wikia.com/wiki/Noob

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

...Well?

So are ya still thinkin' about it?

4. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess each term's interpretation is fluid, depending on the culture in a specific game, but the online urban dictionary seems to broadly agree with my experience in the (admittedly limited number of) online games I played, where a newb is a beginner and may inadvertently break game rules and a noob is an experienced player who chooses to behave like an ass-hat
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    'Noob' (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Noob)

Contrary to the belief of many, a noob/n00b and a newbie/newb are not the same thing. Newbs are those who are new to some task* and are very beginner at it, possibly a little overconfident about it, but they are willing to learn and fix their errors to move out of that stage. n00bs, on the other hand, know little and have no will to learn any more. They expect people to do the work for them and then expect to get praised about it, and make up a unique species of their own.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I was called a noob my reaction would be to assume it was an insult & laugh. Unless I was feeling cranky in which case I'd

(i) challenge them to some PvP
    (ii) hand them their ass
    (iii) tell them they just got 'owned' by a pensioner

that last one is what really burns :cool:

Don't mess with old guys. We're slow but we're sneaky.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    N1VAU likes this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Is there a similar difference between a 'goob' and a 'goober'?

N1VAU likes this.
  6. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

according to www.urbandictionary.com

Goob
    A person who thinks that theyre funny or cool but really theyre just awkward and weird.

Goober
    (noun) a term of affection for a lovable, silly, lighthearted person. Always easy to poke fun at without actually meaning harm.

So kind-of similar to the newb/noob thing, yes.
    'Goob' is derogatory but 'Goober' is a term of affection.

....and I hadn't heard of either, so I've learned something today.

N1VAU and KP4SX like this.
  7. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have essentially been off the air since 2012 when I was assigned to Goodfellow AFB and then Travis AFB. I have had the opportunity to evaluate some high end receivers (but did not transmit) during these years. Still, I have spent a lot more time thinking about, reading about, etc. ham radio. Less than a year until retirement!

Jim N3AWS

W7TCT and KC8VWM like this.
  8. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

I spend entirely too much time on this frequency, much to many levels of detriment. And I'm thinking about that...

N3AWS likes this.
  9. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup, I probably think about and simulate a circuit for about 9 hours before building it for 1 hour...

Yah, it's a little bit "analysis paralysis", but they almost always work after all that!

10. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Marvin said;
    Ahh yes, one of a few "universally adaptable" truisms.