Time Spent: Doing radio vs thinking about radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7TCT, Nov 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
  1. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was rattling around today looking at some options for a go kit setup for my Yaesu FT-891 and thought, I wonder just how much time do I spend considering, researching, designing, building, and, well, just rattling around about radio and not actually being "on" the radio.

If I change the radials, can I make my vertical more stealthy, can I put an OCF over the roof, can I make a small mount from a cutting board to mount radio and tuner, what do I need at the big box hardware store.... and a thousand more random bits.....

Honestly, I am betting I am 90% thinking/researching/etc and 10% doing.

Thoughts? Or should this thread be a variation of how did you radio today with what did you consider about radio today? Or, with apologies to Ratty, simply messing about with radio.

N3AWS likes this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Measure twice, cut once.

Or in your case, measure 9x, cut once. ;)

There's nothing wrong with either approach. :cool:

I have at least 100 EZNEC models in my collection for every one real antenna I have built. Most models were time well spent, because they either showed me why an idea wasn't that great, or how to take a poor idea and make it a much better idea. Good planning actually saves more time than it costs, and it can save cash by allowing you to make the most of your resources.

W4ZD likes this.
  3. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

More disposable income allocated to the hobby may balance things out.:D

Nothing wrong with thinking and researching. This may differentiate a well rounded ham from a so called 'appliance' operator.:)

4. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I spend a lot of time on the radio. I average about 18,000 HF contacts a year and I am on the air making contacts every day. That said, I also spend a lot of time thinking about radio-related stuff and actually working on my antenna systems, etc. Currently ( 1 ) assembling a DXE 160 meter mono-band vertical, ( 2 ) installing a new ( additional ) beverage antenna in the woods, ( 3 ) preparing for a second tower, and ( 4 ) preparing for more beverage antennas. I also work in the woods every day it is not too cold or raining, installing/maintaining antennas or ( mostly ) cutting trails through the woods so I can install even more antennas. It's the equivalent of a full-time job, but more enjoyable.

So for me a better question might be how much time do I spend not doing anything radio-related? Maybe 12 hours a day not radio-related, including sleeping and eating. Hmmm. Maybe I need a social life outside of radio.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    N1VAU likes this.
  5. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

You may be right.:D

But not knowing you, it's impossible to say it for sure. ;)

6. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

I am the same way with the ladies. More like 99% to 1% as an older guy. Maybe less. Definitely less. Forget I said anything.

K4AGO, K1TGX, N4BC and 4 others like this.
  7. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Guilty

8. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tom,

There's
    nothing wrong with that, you (and I) are not addicted and can quit at anytime! ;)

Besides, you're a noob (being 1st licensed in '17) so things are both new and exciting.

Enjoy the hobby!

W7TCT likes this.
  9. W4ZD

W4ZD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One of those universal truths, applicable in so many ways. As a programmer I used to say, "think twice, code once." :)

10. DK7OB

DK7OB Ham Member QRZ Page

My father, a carpenter by trade, used to say: "Cut twice, still too short"

N3PM, W4ZD and KC8VWM like this.