Time signal intruder

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA2FIR, May 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think contest stations when idle could help out by getting a fix on the intruder and liven up the bands on cw/ssb with their big signals.

2. KL7FZ

KL7FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

One time I thought something was going over my head...so....I stuck my head up. And took it right in the kisser! Now I talk with a lisp! You should hear me call "CQp CQp"

3. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Now this is a post that made me actually laugh out loud to the point folks here at work asked what was funny :D

4. KA2FIR

6/15/18 1524Z 18147 USB peaking 20 over 9.

W0PV likes this.
  5. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    could this be from one of the two working AN/TPS-71 R-OTHR systems now in use?

The solid-state transmitting system power is 200 kW in the frequency band 5 to 28 MHz, over a 64º wide illuminated sector, covering a range from 926 to 2,963 km.

Range resolution is achieved by transmitting a 25-kHz continuous frequency-modulated waveform.

Has anyone seen this intruder on a SDR waterfall display? Does it have a FM component?

6. N1SZ

N1SZ Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just an observation....Based on radar theory, the bandwidth of the pulse and the PRF/PRI (Pulse Repetition Frequency/Pulse Repetition Interval) are too narrow and slow/long respectively to realize any meaningful target resolution for an OTHR. Even the Russian Woodpecker (circa 1980’s) had a higher PRI, bandwidth and a pseudo-random modulation. Not seeing similar characteristics with this signal. The most basic of HF radars today are nearly ten kHz wide at a minimum.

Also, the signal uses non-optimal frequencies (above and below the MUF) at corresponding times, contrary to propagation common sense and OTHR effectiveness.

Not likely an OTHR. Just my $.02

Jim

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    K3DCW, K2CD, W0PV and 1 other person like this.
  7. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It is 2000 WPM cw.

8. KA2FIR

6/16/18 @ 1948Z 14319, 14324, 14304 USB.

9. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Also on 14294 2003Z steady S9 with the antenna at 60 degrees. Dropped off at 180 degrees.

Definitely peaked when I pointed the antenna to 270 degrees. Started to drop off again at 220 degrees. I am receivng it at S9 +10db pointed dead west.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    W0PV and N0TZU like this.
  10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I call squirrel on the left coast.

A 14.313 nut gone bad.