Time signal intruder

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA2FIR, May 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W2NAP

W2NAP Ham Member QRZ Page

i came across some beeps on the low end of 40 last night about 2300 local. just time signal blips. sounded like it was walking up the band each blip seemed to be up a couple hz from the other one.

2. WS4JM

WS4JM Ham Member QRZ Page

WASK?

3. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe some of you have already searched HF Underground for information regarding these unidentified pips. If not, a search will reveal a lot of questions regarding these transmissions, but unfortunately no definitive answer, thus far. A lot of interesting reading, however.

Here are the results of a search that brought a lot of hits:

https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/board,27.0.html

I'm pretty sure this is not a Ionosonde. OTH Radar? I don't think so, either. I'm surprised that this thing has been going on for months, and no smoking gun so far. It seems to be coming from within the Americas. Wish I knew its purpose.

W0PV and W5BIB like this.
  4. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No. That statement was a joke, an attempt at humor.

Seaview. Nelson Institute of Marine Research. Chief Sharkey.

All of this is from the movie/TV show Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea from the 1960s. I used to love that Flying Sub that they would launch from the bow of Seaview. Ah, great memories of watching this in reruns on Saturday morning. Good times!

WZ7U, N0TZU and W5TTW like this.
  5. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow I feel silly. That really went over my head,,,,but I do get it now, and it's funny :D It's what I get for posting at work (with boss's permission). Distraction makes one miss details lol.

W5TTW and K3DCW like this.
  6. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It happens to all of us at one time or another.

7. W5TTW

W5TTW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I watched it before it was in reruns. :eek: Nice catch, tho. ;)

K3DCW likes this.
  8. SA6CKE

SA6CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wouldn't be surprised if this is ending up being someone that have made their own arrangement for studying propagation and then listen in on various SDR receivers over the world.

9. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As good a possibility as any. Yet, I have observed this signal on 20 meters where it remained in the same spot for hours on end, and in fact was still ticking away the next morning. That's one mighty long test. At least it was not someone saying "hooooooooooooola" the whole time, and listening to themself on some remote SDR.

10. SA6CKE

SA6CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Never underestimate what strange things people can do.

On the other hand - it could be a beacon for drug smugglers too. You never know who's receiving the signal. And it's hard to know how it's coded when it's a simple coding of the signal.

K2CD likes this.