Time signal intruder

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA2FIR, May 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

That's all very interesting (no, really), but I have to point out that moving to HF links isn't going to improve that situation any.

2. VK4GAP

VK4GAP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Graham , i looked about for ages on the interweb and that's all i could come up with previously , i don't know how you do it , i drilled for quite some time too .

Like i mentioned via the web sdr's the strongest signal was at Fukushima Japan and at the starting times times mentioned and 80M propagation styles suggested it also came from that area (most of Russia and West still in daylight except due North from Japan) , also no in the middle of our 80M band segment frequencies there in the link listed , right on where i'm doing SSTV and no responses or extra stuff just SDXL , i can hear my SSTV sigs up there too btw .

Conjecture from me and the effort/time that put in to it is = Some sort of a intruders Propagation Testing Beacon over time maybe , it's all very silly imo .

73 Paul .

3. VE3GTC

VE3GTC Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes it is just a matter of luck and asking the right question.

Web sites have become so pervasive in tracking their users (i.e. cookies and logging ip addresses) that they sometimes "think" they know what it is you are really looking for especially if it is some consumer product that they can push advertising for.

You may find that it helps to delete all of your browsers' cookies from time to time. You might be surprised at the difference it makes for google or other search tool results. If you want to see a dramatic example, use check out a large retailers web page and search for something that you usually may not search for like snowblowers. In little more than 10 to 15 minutes you will start seeing ads being pushed your way on other web sites you may visit that provide advertising and not only from that store you did the initial search on but perhaps others as well.

cheers, Graham ve3gtc

VK4GAP likes this.
  4. VK4GAP

VK4GAP Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes i'm up to speed on that stuff , have been for years now out noticing what goes on , that was my comment about "drilling" , i assumed i was pretty good at drilling but you guys have shown me otherwise , maybe i'm just getting impatient in the later years .

A quick story on hiding , , , a couple of years ago now i found several old (already a few years old) book mark saves on a old usb stick i had forgotten about , after looking through them in a text file (i did not want to load them up being so old) i noticed a few "hey yeh that was a good personal hobby website i'll look at that , see if it's still there, see what's new"

So typed in search engines just the name and nothing , typed in the longer name like the topic and name and nothing , nearly all of those that i wanted to look at just did not exist going by goog or bing or anything else , heaps of everything else and pages and pages of results of course , but nothing , i went through hundreds of results .

So then i typed in the actual address up top already suspecting a con and there they were some actually no longer existed but lets say out of 15 looked for , 3-4 non-existent any-longer all the rest were there , just mostly hobbyist personal pages for electronics or radio with a couple of ufo ones chucked in , for some reason they were well hidden and i think i know why .

Back then there was around a 12 hour period to wait to completely try to loose track from goog or anything else , goog being the main sneaky culprit following one around changing what you actually want to see , like you have mentioned clear everything but then wait 12 hours (or it could have been 6 i forget) back then , that was the only way , for simple stuff it was just a hour or so , the more detailed stuff hours , that algorithm knows how to fiddle and to try to fool one to think one has fooled it , it's clever .

thanks for the effort though too , 73 . Paul ..

5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Those SWL guys over on the HF Underground web forums, some are Hams too like Graham, do a great job monitoring and reporting.

In regards to the OP, it seems that their HF activity is less lately, or at least their intrusion into spectrum allocated for amateur radio. Certainly the reports here have subsided, and I haven't heard any "ticks" directly in FL for a long time.

The hot summer WX, while probably not changing the HF prop that much is effecting their overall system including the short-haul broadband microwave links, so perhaps they have suspended using it for awhile. Or perhaps the "experiments' are completed, which is doubtful, as if there was some new economic science to explore.

Or perhaps the secrecy seeking market traders using HF radio links became informed of our monitoring and concerns. I think if they did they would try to do things a little differently, ie, put some notches their xmitter VFO range, try to avoid the Ham bands. I would bet none of them want to be the first to be featured in the mainstream press or on a viral YouTube video featuring an enterprising Ham or SWL monitor sitting in a car exposing their HFT HF station pinning a mobile rig S-meter while doing commercial business xmiting UNID either with or especially without legal authorization on the FCC Part 97 Amateur 40, 20, or 17 meter bands.

This thread and others that mention it has had a lot of eyes on it. Search engines looking for news on HFT and radio find these forum discussion rather quickly, and we're not the only ones curious and drilling the internet looking for info. I would not be surprised if there are Hams involved professionally especially with the engineering and operation of those HFT radio links.

73, John, WØPV

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    N0TZU likes this.
  6. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Heard it last night around 7198 LSB. Never got a reply from ARRL guys in IL or anyone from ARRL HQ. Membership will expire.

KK5JY likes this.
  7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Has anyone ever gotten a reply from any ARRL official on this topic? Even a simple "we're aware of it" ??

8. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have from my local rep. It’s in the thread.

9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

True, but I think he just said he wasn’t aware of any problems and to submit reports, or words to that effect, if I remember correctly.

I realize that the ARRL, or anyone else working on deliberate interference or intrusions would not want to disclose details of their investigation activities for obvious reasons. But they could certainly say they are aware of the issue and are working on it. Otherwise it appears that nothing is being done and the organization doesn’t care. Which I expect and hope is not the case.

10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's been awhile but I bumped into it tonight too on 40m, about 7056 LSB Khz on the dial, just the other sideband down from the FT8 DXped channel with 9XØY. Quite loudly too. Seemed to have a slightly different "softer" quality to the "tick", like lower rise time.