ad: M2Ant-1

Time signal intruder

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA2FIR, May 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

SDXL is also the acronym for Suomen DX Liitto (Fiinish DX Association) a SWL-HAM radio club based in Finland.

https://sdxl.fi/

They seem large and sophisticated enough to generate their own beacon or pirate operation - :eek: ?

VK4GAP likes this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

3. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully the mandate given these new VM's is more then just the apparent usual old OO mission, ie, reporting out-of-band splatter and 10 minute ID violations.

It would be of great benefit if they are given the mandate by the FCC and direction and training by the League to focus on intruders like this, and the ever growing sources of RFI.

However the extreme pessimist in me says being directed from and filtered through HQ their actions could morph into being an OTA political "Goon Squad" using FCC backed powers to enforce against those who express dissent at the ARRL's policies or make their autocratic clique's enemies list. (There is precedent of that in the past)

4. KK4CUL

KK4CUL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't have a lot of faith that they would put a lot of weight into reports by the VMs, unless they are blatant and frequent QRMers. It seems like outsourcing to a foreign country ha. Cheaper / free labor was probably a big motivator.

Regarding the past 10 pages or so, I do not like all the doom and gloom being predicted. I am somewhat of a realist / (pessimist as my wife and sister call me), but I really hope the spectrum doesn't get overrun with commercial users and taken from AR. I am not, by some of your definitions, a "real" AR op (didn't have to learn CW, never built an xmitr, etc.). However, I have always been interested in electronics as long as I can remember and have built a lot of homebrew things for AR and audio gear. Shortwave receivers, AM BCB radios, audio amplifiers, HiFi speakers, battery chargers and switches etc. I couldn't repair a commercial device though. However, I have a strong and true interest in all radio. I started with CBs as a kid in the neighborhood with a friend who's dad was a ham, then FRS, then AM DXing at night, then got a portable shortwave, then my tech license and general 9 or so months later.

I'd like to think I still contribute and would still be active in the hobby and fight against the QRMing and thinning out of spectrum. Out of the three friends I got licensed with, I am the only one still active in both HF / VHF / UHF. Granted, I never got into APRS and such like them, but I frequent repeaters in the mobile and simplex 2M as well as work at couple QSOs on 40 - 12M (when open) daily. I haul my 20lb Icom around to forests to work portable, to every field day my group of friends participate in, to events with local clubs, etc. I have had old boat anchors (TS830s, TS120S), and newer ones like the IC-706, IC-703+, IC-7200, TenTec Argonaut, and my current 7410. I kept the TS-120s simply because it made noisy signals completely unfatiguing even though it only had 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10 and no DSP. Even though it was drifty, I appreciated the simplicity and efficacy of it. One of these days, I might have time to learn CW, but at this point working 10-11 hours a day and having a 4 year old starting school I am going to hold off.

I really hope things don't go as south as you guys predict any time soon. This is one hobby that is always fun to me, even if I am not a true AR op.. Not much is more fun than rag chewing with complete strangers on 40m in the evening and realizing it's been 45 minutes and you talked like you'd known each other your whole lives. Soon, you have a whole round table joining your conversation! Or, tuning 20-10 and find DX in HI, VK and ZL land, JA hams and literally talking halfway around the globe. Or entering your paper log from working /P in the woods a couple weeks later to enter online and find out you worked a station in Antarctica with 10 watts and a Par EndFedz antenna! Or calling CQ on 146.52 and talking to a private pilot for 15 minutes as he flies 5-6 miles above you and fades in and out but he enjoys chatting up in the sky with someone as excited as he is.

WZ7U, K5URU, N0TZU and 1 other person like this.
  5. KK4CUL

Oh, and I kinda wish this would get back to the reports and information about the UNID signal. That was more interesting that the future spectrum predictions :) That is what got me interested more in AR when I was just a SWL. I myself have never heard these exact PIPs but have for sure heard lots of UNID signals that are probably GOV or MIL. I like to take recordings of them. The 7410 has a pretty hot RX from LW through SW with a good antenna!

K5URU likes this.
  6. VK4GAP

VK4GAP Ham Member QRZ Page

Tnx , strange if them , like mentioned seems around Japan , it's still there sending over and over from sundown here to sunup here +10 UTC, i'll look about your link and see what is what , 73

ps- i just thought i'll check out the websdr at Fukushima now ,= not there (just after midday here atm) , i'll look about more .

7. VK4GAP

VK4GAP Ham Member QRZ Page

Update , 2 days now and that SDXL beacon? has not been there on 3630 KHz or it has to do with the weekend (sat/sun) , maybe they read QRZ .

tnx , Paul .

8. VE3GTC

VE3GTC Ham Member QRZ Page

SDXL is often associated to what is being referred to as "the 10 minute net" and is reported from time to time by short wave utility DX'ers.

You can find some details here: http://www.numbersoddities.nl/UM10-profile.pdf

cheers, Graham ve3gtc

VK4GAP and W0PV like this.
  9. KK4CUL

That's a cool read.. I always found numbers and other unidentified stations eerily fascinating.

10. KB1PA

KB1PA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting effect of heat and humidity on propagation:

Even tiny slowdowns have major ramifications on automated stock trading. To
    put the computing power as close to the markets as possible, microwave links
    (point-to-point links via dedicated microwave dishes) connect Wall Street to
    server installations in New Jersey. Hot weather, especially when accompanied
    by high humidity, slows those links down enough to make an impact on trading.
    From a report via Hackaday: "For short-haul links around the financial centers
    in New York, though, dedicated network links are favored for low-latency
    connections. Rather than trusting their trades to the vagaries of the internet
    and risk an unfavorable routing path or a cable severed by an errant backhoe,
    high-frequency trading firms often rely on microwave links to exchange
    information. [...] As it turns out, those microwave connections are the weak
    link in the system. During the early July heatwave, the links were
    experiencing slight delays in transmission times over that 16-mile path and
    throwing off the timing of the trading algorithms. The delay was minuscule --
    on the order of 10 microseconds -- but in a business where millions are made
    and lost in seconds, that's substantial." Last month, Bloomberg reported that
    high humidity was impeding radio transmissions among three New Jersey data
    centers where U.S. stocks trade. According to a note Nasdaq sent customers, it
    took about 8 microseconds longer to send info from the stock exchange's
    facility in Carteret to the New York Stock Exchange data center in Mahwah, and
    an extra 2 microseconds to send data to Cboe Global Markets' exchange in
    Secaucus.

KK4CUL likes this.