Time signal intruder

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA2FIR, May 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

KK5JY, please see

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

That's exactly what I was doing. You asked what the SM could do about the problem, and I gave you an answer, citing recent events as a practical example.

So what can be done about the specific RFI mentioned by the OP, and about RFI in general? The same people who put a CC&R bill in must-pass NDAA legislation have proven that they can get legislation through the congress. So, the solution is for them to do the same with RFI. The bill would be simple -- require the FCC to enforce their own RFI rules, their congressional mandate to do so, and provide the funding to do it.

It's no different than the mandate that border authorities have been given in recent months to enforce immigration law. Rules and laws were already on the books, but what's different today (whether anybody likes it or not) is that they have been instructed to enforce them vigorously. The solution to all kinds of RFI, including the OP's complaint, is to get FCC to do just it. The law already says they are the only ones who can, and their own rules demand it, and explain how. All they need now is the mandate, and the only way they are going to get that is a congressional order, similar to what the League did with CC&R.

And the SM is the closest point of representation to the OP, meaning that it's not a bad place for the OP to start working on that process. And that answers your question, "what do you expect the SM to do about it?"

K0IDT likes this.
  3. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hearing it tonight 2018-07-08 @ 2245Z on the K3FEF WebSDR on 25 meters, 12,296, 12.344, 12,384 Mhz dial USB.

https://instaud.io/2psr

Now they may be QRT or QSY. Did not move quick enough to see if they could be heard directly here in FL. Have not heard it intruding in Ham bands lately either. (Did they get the message we are listening / being QRM'ed?) But when OTA I have been busy chasing the KH1.

There is one report of it on 14.305 Mhz on HFUnderground from a couple days ago. Will listen carefully on top of 20m tonight and perhaps dial around elsewhere on WebSDR's too.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  4. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I did file a complaint with the FCC. No email updates and trying to find the ticket is futile. I guess I'll file another one. Nice summary for the ones who post 16,000 times but don't take the time to read through the thread.

5. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had one filed at the FCC since 2013, fully documented times, frequencies, offending calls and more. I did get an email with the ticket number and had 2 phone calls to Laura Smith. Still waiting, good luck.

6. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad to see you guys are submitting info and protest to the FCC. But like any LEO there is a lot of inertia to overcome. Important for affected amateurs to keep gathering more detailed evidence.

Although the FCC does have great RDF capabilities, without a great deal of motivational pressure, their staff may not have a lot of skills or tolerance to follow the frequent QSY'ing nature of these "ticks". Probably more expedient for amateurs to also continue with a Fox Hunt all the way to the source's QTH, if possible.

Don't forget to mention or inquire about the WAIVER of ID requirements on so many Part 5 ELS license grants. This is either an extremely naive decision or a sneaky bit of bending to political (corporate) pressures to create a practical loophole for the experimenters.

By waiving any ID requirement or method, the FCC OET reverses the later stated obligation to not interfere, marginalizes the other licensed users and general public, the potential QRM victims, requiring them to take on the burden to correlate UNID'ed Part 5 signals that may be intrusive, and figure out how to make specific accurate reports if needed.

Sure the experimenters want to secure their R&D IP but that doesn't absolve them of the obligation in their license of non-interference to other FCC licensed service. New proprietary digi mode signals are inherently disguised, virtually unidentifiable, even if not encrypted. At the very least the ELS transmissions should be logged, and if not made public, periodically reported to the FCC OET, who can then discretely do the correlation to any QRM logged and reported and proceed with enforcement as necessary, eg. direct to the Part 5 ELS offender to stay out of those Part 97 frequency bands.

WZ7U, N0TZU and K0IDT like this.
  7. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of those modes have been around for decades in the ham bands. Even when you can identify the stations involved nothing ever gets done to correct the situation, direct contact, FCC complaint or the ARRL OO's, who can't decode the transmisions, none are of any help. These are all supposed to be licensed hams but there are pirates among them abusing the ham bands. The proof is out there for anyone that cares to look.

8. VE3GTC

VE3GTC Ham Member QRZ Page

UNID 1 PPS pip / pulse / tick is active on 14315 kHz (carrier frequency - tune -1 kHz for USB).

Bouncing around as usual from time to time.

14290 kHz now.....

back to 14315 kHz.

Signal strength is strong in Eastern Ontario SINPO 52245

cheers, Graham ve3gtc

9. VE3GTC

VE3GTC Ham Member QRZ Page

Now (2018-07-12 22:30 UTC) on 10125 kHz (carrier frequency) pip'ing away.

SINPO 42245 in Eastern Ontario

cheers, Graham ve3gtc

10. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm seeing something on 10125, but it's really faint. If anybody who has good copy on the signal could make an audio recording, I would be interested in having a listen.