ad: vanity

Time signal intruder

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA2FIR, May 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

The past few days I've been hearing this time signal that jumps in frequency within the 17m band. I heard this same signal late last winter in 20m and 40m bands as well.

This youtube recording was made by someone else in NJ after seeing my 40m spots. Same signal just different band.

Have you heard this signal?

Tnx,

Mike

2. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It might be some sort of radar

W5TTW and WZ7U like this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed. Or a good buddy messing with people ;)

K9ASE likes this.
  4. W5TTW

W5TTW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's nothing nefarious. I recognized the sound and contacted my buddies at the Nelson Institute of Marine Research in Santa Barbra to confirm. The Seaview is conducting advanced sonar tests proximal to Cape May, NJ. (Just a precaution. There's been a lot of Chinese naval activity in the Atlantic.) They said that they would apprise Chief Sharkey that it's interfering on 40m. The Seaview floats a comms buoy every 8 hours, so it shouldn't take long to mitigate.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    W1TRY and K4PIH like this.
  5. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can add 30M to bands it's been showing up on regularly. I've been hearing it pretty much every day, somewhere or another since January.

6. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

K9PG in Illinois was hearing in Illinois with his antenna disconnected. It was S9 +10 in Pennsylvania here and full scale up by him. This was on 20 meters way after sunset and not a single other signal was on the band. It stayed audible all night and was still there when I checked after daybreak. I think this was back in February. Very strong stuff.

7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Have been hearing if for several months. Heard it today on the top of 20 meters.

Here is a clip when tuned to 14.309 Mhz USB on Monday 2018-5-28 @ 19:50Z.

https://instaud.io/2f0t

That was a little over 60s. Note the "double tick" now and then. It stopped for awhile shortly after that clip. Then a little over a minute later it started doing intermittent single ticks, spaced at seemingly random intervals. It kept going with some relatively long quiet periods with just one or a few ticks. I got bored and spun the dial after 20 minutes.

I'm guessing its some sort of new type of spy coded numbers transmission, counting ticks or spaces between intervals or with sync to the top of a minute (like FT8 ;-)

73, John, WØPV

K2CD likes this.
  8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I notice now it is simultaneously xmitting up 5 khz on 14.314 (USB) too. Some kind of differential pulse FM or ? No dual watch so I can't listen both places at once.

I looked at it on the waterfall in WSJT-X and see its producing about a 1000 Hz demod tone in my USB selected receiver, so that means its pulses are probably centered on 5 Khz spacing, ie, 14305 and 14315 Khz.

On the waterfall the audio signature seen is actually quite "fat", ie, its not a thin CW tone line, more like about 100 Hz or slightly less broad (slightly more then an FT8 signal). Don't have an oscilloscope handy so can't measure how long the duration of a burst is. Could be some digi data buried in that though I bet.

It would be fun to track it longer term with a SDR that can look at more of the spectrum at one time. And to see what is contained in those short ~100 Hz wide pulses.

73, John, WØPV

KL4EJ and K2CD like this.
  9. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I reported this to IARU Region 2 Coordinator Carlos Beviglia, LU1BCE. Sent them the audio clip and description. Let's see if their Intruder Watch group can ID it or come up with some info.

K2CD and NK2U like this.