ad: HamFM-1

Time for a new 2meter/70cm radio

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by AF6CO, Sep 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. AF6CO

AF6CO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My 897d went belly up and now I'm looking for a new mobile. I'd like to keep it in the $300 range.
    At first I was looking at the FTM-100DR. When I started looking for reviews I was pointed the reviews on eham where everyone hated the radio. Then while I was there I looked at the reviews for the FTM-7250DR where everyone liked the radio. It seems to me that it's pretty much the same radio as the 100DR without the detachable face.

I don't know which of the repeaters in my area are digital if any, so I don't know it that would be useful at this time. I'm willing to believe that if there aren't any digital repeaters, that eventually there will be. At this time I'd be using the mobile for the ham shack. My HT's are having a hard time getting into some of the local repeaters.

I've looked here and I've only found a couple threads about the 100DR and both of them were posting about problems with the radio.

So I'd apricate any thoughts that you guys might have.

Steve

2. W7TRD

W7TRD Subscriber QRZ Page

Can't go wrong with the FT7900R. Solid rig!

3. AF6CO

Thanks for the recomendation. I was hoping that I would get more responses.
    There doesn't seem to be any FTM-100DR owners out here to give any info on their experience with the radio.

4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I really like my FT7900. But also consider a Kenwood, such as TM-V71.

5. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had the following radios in my truck in the time since I became licensed: FT-1900R, replaced by an FT-7900R because it was 2 meter only, then the FT-7900 was replaced by an FTM-100DR to gain System Fusion after my club installed two Fusion repeaters. The FTM-100DR was replaced by an FTM-400XDR because the FTM-100 has a single VFO and can't beacon APRS and talk at the same time. During this time I was also using an FT-7900R as a base radio in my shack.

I still have all these radios except one of the FT-7900s which I sold to an off-roader friend after he got his license. The 1900 resides in my workshop and gets used occasionally when I'm working out there, the other 7900 is in a G0-Kit, the FTM-100 is now my base radio in my shack and the 400 is my vehicle radio.

For the person commenting about the FTM-100DR, it's a great radio if you are willing to live with the single VFO. It's dual band with expanded receive and I use it to listen to air, railroad and marine frequencies in addition to the ham bands. I can reach repeaters in the local mountains with it and regularly check into nets on the other side of the mountains. Nothing wrong with the FTM-100DR...

6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Have had the FTM-7250DR in the shack for about 6 months now it's works great. Picked it up mainly to try one of the available digital voice modes and Fusion was the most prevalent in this area. Like the feature where the radio will automatically switch between analog and digital voice based on the received signal.

7. KE8FWJ

KE8FWJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Finding this thread very informative and interesting. Did not know about that FTM-400XDR, it seems a great challenger to a TM-710GA. Has anyone have any comparable experience with both? The last Yaesu I used was the FT-1500 lashed to a 7Ah in a backpack. It provided superior comms (with other hams & my-partner-in-crime at the time) throughout backpacking, mobiling, cycling and scootering through Europe & the ME. It got hammered and survived. Although this time round want the APRS and will be split between mobile and bicycle in and around Arizona.

8. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

In the used category- consider the major players: Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu, Alinco ( Not necessarily in that order ). Kenwood TM-G707, TM-D700a, TM-D710 (usually not in the price range) might all work for you- unless you really need true crossband ( eliminate the G707- I believe ). Icom and Yaesu sell programming cables and software as does Kenwood and used cables may be your only option for some rigs. I do not have much experience with Alinco because I typically ordered dual-band rigs with included terminal node controllers for packet. The TM-V71(a) can be 'difficult' for some newbies regarding requirements to read the manual. If you are looking for slow-scan TV- the Kenwood accessory and cabling seems to be getting difficult to find. If you need D-Star, Icom may be your only option at the price.

9. AF6CO

I'm leaning towards the FTM100DR. Is there a website that would show if ther any fusion or DStar repeaters in my area?

10. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have two FT-7900s, and a TM-D710.

I like the 7900s, because the mic plugs into the control head -- you run one cable from the radio body to the head, and you are done. Downside is single receive. One 7900 is still going after 7 years of Texas sun, the other made it about 9 years before it developed a TX audio issue -- however, it was on 24/7 for the last five years or so. I originally picked the 7900 because you can program one of the hypermemory buttons on the front for oops mode -- if you wind up in VFO mode or somewhere else, you can hit the button and return to your memory channels and all is well. Also works for setting up alternate memories for satellites, etc...

I have the 710 in my car, and it has survived about 5 years of Texas heat, and is still going. Dual receive is nice, but having to extend the mic cable if you want to mount the radio body remotely is not. Especially if you opt out of the factory exten$ion cable kit, and use CAT5 - very faint clicking on TX audio.

Both are good choices and will serve you well -- just need to decide if you need dual receive, and if having the mic jack on the head is a plus.

KE8FWJ likes this.