ad: Mircules-1

Tigertronics SignaLink vs Yaesu SCU-17

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by WL7PM, Oct 11, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Completely ignoring the price, what relative advantage does Yaesu's proprietary SCU-17 offer over the Tigertronics SignaLink ?
    Assuming usage with FTdx3000 and/or FT-891 will the SCU-17 perform all of the functions available from SignaLink ?
    Intended usage is to establish HF VARA operation.
    Any advantage to either unit ?
    Anybody own and/or use both side by side ?
    Thank you for any information or guidance.

2. KB1PVH

KB1PVH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just looking quickly, it looks like the SCU-17 gives you the ability to have CAT control of the radio.

Only downside I see is that it only works with Yaesu radios but the Signalink you can change jumper settings to accommodate pretty much any radio.

3. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are wanting to use the device for HF Vara with Winlink, CAT control is accomplished via the Winlink software anyway. So having it included in the SCU-17 is no advantage. There is lots of documentation available to set up the Signalink USB for just about any available transceiver. I also use the Signalink for running all sound card modes such as all the WSJT modes, and RTTY contesting with N1MM+ and MMTTY freeware, and doing SSTV with other freeware.

You can probably do all this with the SCU-17, but don't expect much help from Yaesu if you want to use it with a Kenwood or Icom.

4. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

The SCU-17 does provide a second USB port, it also will do FSK switching as well as audio. All that is needed is the ability to make interface cables for what ever radio is being used. That said, the Signalink does a good job with AFSK and is easier to setup. Much depends upon the radio in question, I use the USB port on the radio for about any mode I want which is AFSK, so no Signalink needed. I have a PK-232 wired to the FSK port on the radio as well.
    Rob

5. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have both, the SCU17 was nice setup for my FT-2000 that had a serial port cat and this made it USB plus audio like a 991.
    I used the Signal link on my 891, it is easier. I thought the FT-3000 had a usb audio built in like the 991?