ad: elecraft

Ticking sound in microphone audio - IC7100

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by VK4JJ, Aug 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VK4JJ

VK4JJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Bought a used IC7100 that didn't come with the connector cable from the control unit to the transceiver. I have used some unshielded CAT6 cable to test it and make sure it is working.

There is a ticking sound in the background of all recorded audio - I've attached a recording of it. Please ignore the feedback in the middle as I moved the hand mic around. This was transmitting into a dummy load.

Could this ticking be the unshielded cat 6 picking up the transceiver MCU clock? Or does it sound like something else?

Many thanks.

Attached Files:

2. KI5OMM

KI5OMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My FT-900 had the same ticking sound. After much frustration, I finally found the source. It was the cat control cable going into the usb on the laptop. When HRD was running it was polling the radio every second or so. This was just enough to cause a ticking noise when key down. I noticed the noise coincided with the cat control lights on the cable. The noise went away when I minimized HRD. I just leave it running in the background now when transmitting and the ticking problem has gone away. Not sure if this is related to your problem. Good luck!

3. VK4JJ

VK4JJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Problem solved. Bought a shielded cable.

NG1H and KA9JLM like this.