TI9A

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WA6MHZ, Feb 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

there is a rumor that they are somehow using SNR filter to disallow / ban anyone using "too much power". I.e. if they are receiving you at +10 then they dont work you. Not sure where this started but i've not seen any documentation of it. Here is a post from a facebook group:

I have been talking to a bunch of ops I know who are really hardcore DX'ers.
    It going around that TI9A has set a max SNR in their fox mode to work the weaker stations.
    This means if you're stronger then what they have set you will not be put in the que.

guess we need to ask the 'hardcore DX'ers' :)

W5BIB likes this.
  2. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

They are loud on 30M CW right now. Worked them with QRP 4.5 watts to a 30M half square at 20 feet! And a lap cat.

W5BIB likes this.
  3. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WOW - ATNO ! I tried all day on 20m, in vain. I just worked them on 30m (10108) on the second call (at 2359z) using my Tentec Century-22 running about 20 watts-out to a 40m OCF dipole up only 20ft. - I think I'll have a brewski & toast the propagation gods :D

There might be something to that "max SNR" setting... ;)

dit dit

KP4SX and W1VT like this.
  4. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Strange... I worked 'em with my 'lap dog' - LOL

He's truly a DX Hound :p
    [​IMG]

AB8MA likes this.
  5. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

I got them on 10108.0 + around 0130. It took 100w and this guy didn’t help me at all.

238E67B1-38BD-4403-AE6A-A10DB18FF196.jpeg

AB8MA and W5BIB like this.
  6. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've done enough QRP work that I think I can sense when I have "the high ground" needed to make contacts without much effort.

Spending all day trying to work a DX station, even an ATNO, is inconceivable.
    I prefer to pick a few times where I am likely to get through.
    I'll often go to bed and wake up in the wee hours of the morning when I have a much better shot at working the DX.

I will spend all day preparing roses for a rose show. More time means more roses to show!

Zak W1VT

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    KP4SX and WW2PT like this.
  7. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly! I pick my QRP battles carefully and use conditions (propagation and otherwise) to my advantage as much as possible. With DXpeditions, I always spend the first few (or several!) days listening, learning their operating patterns and habits, and putting that knowledge to use when the pileup tide ebbs. Smart operating over brute force! :cool:

Of course for ATNOs and new band slots all bets are off! I’ll go up to half a kW for something new if I need to. But if it’s something I’ve already worked and confirmed, I rarely go over 5w these days.

8. E73Y

E73Y Ham Member QRZ Page

This is from the FT8 DXpedition Mode User Guide, Page 4:

10. Remember that FT8 is a weak-signal mode. Contacts can be made reliably with
    signals well below the audible threshold. The Fox operator may explicitly decide to
    answer only calls with signal strength below some limit, for example S/N = –10 dB.
    In many cases you will not need and should not use an amplifier. It’s more
    important to find a calling frequency free of QRM.

No idea how to set it up. Never used FT8 as a Fox.

73's Boris E73Y

9. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

thanks for that, I did not see that in the documentation. Not sure I see the benefit of policing FT8 power usage though if I am a DXPedition. . .

10. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Think I am going to get SKUNKED on this one! Not much time left. Maybe someone will go there again someday.....