TI9A

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WA6MHZ, Feb 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought this one would be a CHIP SHOT, but NO COPY at all here on any band!! Has anyone stateside worked them. I see the team is mostly Russian ops, so naturally they would favor EU as Cocos is desperately needed by most of EU. They go away Feb 7th so only a few days left.

I just need a CW and FT8 QSO.

2. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i got them on 40m CW the day they started their operation. I got them 3 more times on FT8. They seem to be favoring FT8 or EU as everytime I hear them on CW on a band other than 40m they are calling "EU ONLY"

3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Did not know the expedition existed until I heard them by chance Sunday evening on 40.

Worked them this morning at 0938Z on 40 CW. Good signal. Heard them on 80 last night.

Really good ops there.

N2SR likes this.
  4. WF4W

Just curious, when did you get them on 80m? I was on for a few hours between 11p - 1am EST waiting for TI9a and HU1DL to appear on 80/160. I got HU1DL on 80 & 160 CW havent heard TI9A yet...

5. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I suggest looking for them on 80M after European sunrise if you live in the states. They are using the darkness hours in Europe to work Europeans on 80M.

N2EY likes this.
  6. N2EY

I didn't get them on 80 yet, just 40. TI9A was pretty good on 80 last evening EST 9-11 PM but the op took a few breaks.

@W1VT's advice is good. I didn't listen for them on 80 this AM but would not be surprised if they were there.

Still 4 days to go.

7. WF4W

I'd like to see them on 10/15m too - at least give it a shot. I was hearing several SA stations on 15m yesterday so Ti9A should be workable...

8. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to see the online log to make sure I'm in the 15M CW log. I just have a dual band 15/20M dipole at 35 feet aimed in that direction.

All the 160M spots I saw last night were for clearly for another station. Miscopied call signs.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  9. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

Except for 12m, their signals here have been strong, but from Louisiana, they're kinda in my back yard.

I worked them on 40m CW at 03:15Z, 02/04/20. It took literally hours to get a contact. On 40m, be prepared to encounter every bad DX behavior that exists: continuous calls regardless of what the DX op is doing, tuning on the DX transmit frequency, tuning on the DX op's listening frequencies, chasers operating simplex when the DX op indicates "UP", calling when a specific call sign was sent by the DX op, calling when the DX op specified a specific geographic area etc.

I worked him on 80m CW at 10:39Z on 02/04/20, about 04:39 local time. The 80m pileup was reasonable, and it took about 15 minutes to get a contact. I'm assuming a lot of the LIDS were still in bed.

Good luck!

N2EY likes this.
  10. N2EY

I heard him work you!

73 de Jim, N2EY

N5CM likes this.