TI9 - Cocos Island Begins Now!

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WB9LUR, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. WB9LUR

WB9LUR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just worked TI9/3Z9DX/MM operating shipboard as maritime mobile during their 30 hour voyage to Cocos. 14.190 listening up 5.

They will be operating from Cocos for only 6 days and just two bands on the air 24 hours a day. Mayhem will ensue.

2. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Pileups and mayhem don't bother me. I tune right past 'em!

3. WB9LUR

Then you certainly won't be adding to the QRM!

4. K4HB

K4HB Ham Member QRZ Page

From their webpage... "2 radios on AIR , 160m – 10m SSB,CW,RTTY"

No 6 meters? BOOOooooooo...

The NG3K site says 'perhaps' 6M, we'll just have to wait and see. K1N didn't promise us 60M and 2M FM either, we never know until it happens.

5. WB9LUR

I think that they'll just be too busy to monitor 6M for any openings and by the time they get word from the pilots it'd probably be too late. Would like to get this one as an ATNO on any band/mode. Did some reading on Cocos - interesting place.

6. NZ5F

NZ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

Only six days. Slim chance working them. I have work schedule that will prevent me from anything 17m and above. So I have to get them next weekend. That will be next to impossible. I think we need a K1N DXpedition for this little pistol station to have a chance.

7. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

The 2m FM is an error in uploading... it should be listed as 2m Phone and it's actually satellite. (Clublog does not differenttiate satellite QSOs.) Which was planned but not widely advertised. I was one of the few lucky folks to work them on sats and get a 'greenie' in that slot. (only 29 total sat QSOs last time I checked)

As for TI9... too bad the contacts from the ship don't count for DXCC. It's an ATNO for me as well... :)

73, Kevin N4UFO

8. WB9LUR

Congrats on the satellite QSO! I have not been active on satellite since AO-13 and the RS birds. What sat did you get them on and what was the uplink / downlink band / mode???

As to TI9/3Z9DX/MM ... I especially enjoy working stations that are /MM - no awards, no DXCC, no bragging rights - just fun to work ops that are at sea. Big part of why I became a ham.

9. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

When they did K5D I'm told they took FM gear and it was a near disaster... they were going to repeat that until someone from AMSAT sent them a 5 watt SSB rig to work FO-29. First attempt (or two) were not very successful, but they got the hang of it and a number of us worked them. Here is a recording one ham posted... it's the pass I managed to work them on: W5PFG's Satellite Operation Notes I gotta give the K1N team huge kudos for sticking to their guns about not rewarding out of turn callers... else I might not have made the QSO. ;)

Never worked AO-13, but I was a big fan of RS-12/13... I managed to get my VUCC-Sat (150 grids) on just that one bird. Also a good number of DXCC (which I never submitted and no longer have the cards!!!) I had a 5 call back then and ran a website/forum to teach people how to operate that bird. (If you were to google my old call and 'RS-12/13' hits STILL come up.) I primarily worked half duplex on Mode K, but eventually got a 2m all mode rig. I didn't keep it long though... I did much better on Mode K whenever it was in KA mode; which was the majority of the time. When RS-12/13 went silent, so did my satellite ops... at least until I got the bug again in 2013 and tried my first FM sat. I have moved cross country, so got to start the grid chase all over again. Just about as addictive as chasing DX to me. :D

You like working maritime mobiles, huh? I just got through working UT1FG/mm traversing the Atlantic. He is a cargo ship captain and works grids on satellite and 6m while at sea. I worked him earlier in IN23 over AO-7 Mode B and then IN13 over FO-29. On it's next pass AO-7 switched to Mode A and I tried him there, but his window was short and he never heard me apparently. He was loud to me though... I can hear Mode A really well when it's over the North Atlantic.

And yes, I said AO-7... I know it was 'dead' for a long time, but the batteries finally opened up and it came back to life. Forty years later and that old lady is still kicking it with the best of them! I've worked into EU a number of times on AO-7... in fact, I worked EI5KJ this morning, before working Yuri. She is the largest footprint bird we have at the moment.

But to get back on topic... I am already preparing myself for having been spoiled with so many ops at K1N. With only 2 stations, I may have to work a lot harder to get some QSOs in. Although, I'm also hoping the pileups won't be as big... :rolleyes:

73 for now,

Kevin N4UFO

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  10. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be happy to work them for a new one...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.