through glass antenna with tinted glass?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by AC4GW, Mar 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. AC4GW

AC4GW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 2013 Acura RDX with factory tinted glass behind the B pillar. It is my understanding that the tint is "in the glass" and is not a coating. Will a through glass antenna work with this type of glass?

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No! Even when mounted on non-passivated glass, the coax cable feeding the antenna does most of the radiating. That coating, tint, solarized, or whatever you wish to call it, is made up of metallic particles. It serves several purposes including reducing RF radiation from the vehicle's electronics. The shielding works both ways.

KD5BVX likes this.
  3. K5BBC

K5BBC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've yet to meet an operator who was satified with an on glass/through glass antenna.
    Through Glass antennas should be marketed as external dummy loads. Don't waste your money.

$0.02

K4RKY and KD5BVX like this.
  4. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with the other two. The perceived convenience of installing one is far overshadowed by the sub par performance.

5. KA9GDW

KA9GDW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I disagree for this reason! I’ve been using a Larson glass mount on my King Ranch for three years. It’s connected to a Yaesu 8800. For years I used a mag mount centered on the roof with great results. However, the Larsen opens repeaters 25-30 miles away. Recently, while traveling another ham and I spoke on 146.52 for twenty miles. It may not as good as a roof mount, but for my intents and purpose the glass mount works as advertised.
    73 and $.02

6. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Tried through the glass antennas several times. I should have learned the first time. They are not good performers

K5BBC likes this.
  7. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Subscriber QRZ Page

"Satisfied" is a relative and subjective term. I agree with K5BBC and N7WR and others - the through glass antennas perform poorly. Period. But, if someone has low standards/requirements and isn't looking for better or best performance then one may "satisfy" them. Again, it's all relative.

I'd never use one.

K5BBC likes this.
  8. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Mark, you are indeed correct. That fact doesn't amaze me. What does, are the number of amateurs who settle for nearly zippo, then brag about the DX they work and/or how far they can ker-chunk a repeater.

9. N8EKT

N8EKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Many years ago (in the 90s) i used a Larsen on glass dual band antenna with a Standard dual band mobile and it did in fact have excellent performance.
    Was it as good as a Larsen NMO270B on the roof?
    No, but it was as close as you could come without drilling a hole in the roof.
    Since most hams are cheap, they usually bought the cheap on glass antennas then condemned ALL on glass antennas as being junk, and that 's just not true.
    But today's car windows as stated mostly have passivated glass which prevents their use today.

10. WB7SKK

WB7SKK Ham Member QRZ Page

I used a radio shack and the MFJ on the glass antenna on several company trucks (no holes allowed ,and before availability of good door edge mounts) and had very good results I was able to talk on repeaters that I could not reach with a 1/4 wave mag mount all while sitting at the same spot on different days