Throat microphones, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by W6SSP, Sep 23, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
  1. W6SSP

W6SSP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm part of a race team (Lemons) and have convinced other members to get their ham license so
    we can move communications over to 2-meters. So far so good and our first trial run a couple
    of weekends ago was a success. Far better than the wimpy GMRS radios we had been using.
    The courses we race on have hills, stands and other obstructions between the pits and track
    and maintaining reliable communications has been a challenge.

The one remaining problem we're having is dealing with the extremely high noise levels in the
    cars. We are currently using electret mics inside a foam pillow in the helmut. Does anyone
    have experience using currently available throat mics? A search shows that motorcyclist
    use these but would like to hear from hams and get any suggestions. Seems like these will
    help solve our problem. Thanks!
    Steve W6SSP

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know about throat microphones, as I've never seen any racing team using them, including the spec Miata groups. This fact makes me leery.

And, using amateur radio for racing? I'm a bit leery about that too.

3. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Motorcyclists use the throat mic.

I think the "problem" is the radio set mic connection and impedence.

I see the pictures.

I don't get an answer from email contact.

I want a throat mic with an ear-piece for hands free, if I can get it.

4. KE7AGK

KE7AGK Ham Member QRZ Page

Otto makes some throat mics, but they are not nearly as good as the LASH II and some other commercial types used by SWAT teams and military units.
    The Otto throat mics work alright, but may not be as clear as you like or want. Placing a mic inside a helmet and having the foam cover for wind noise seems to sound better to the distant listener.
    I use a cheap Bluetooth Motorola motorcycle boom mic now for sync to my phone and it has never had any complaints.

5. KG7OTL

KG7OTL Ham Member QRZ Page

We use the otto throat mic at work. I listen to the signal from them nearly everyday. My advice is to find something else. The audio from the otto is most often very poor. It does seem that placement is very important. Do not place it on the front of the adams apple. 20-45° to the side works much better. Those with gravelly voices will be harder to understand.

6. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Racing and Amateur Radio, hmmm

Well, as long as the racing is completely amateur as well; no one is getting paid for support services (mechanicing) or as drivers; the prizes are completely nominal like ribbons or trophies; and there is no [commercial] sponsorship either in cash or in kind (parts), then it is should be OK.

If any of these conditions are not met, then you need to buy commercial radios and get commercial FCC licenses and frequency allocations (or use one of the appropriate non-license services).

We had someone last year post about trying to do similar things for desert racing. He never posted back after these issues were brought up. LOL.

7. KL7SG

KL7SG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you tried the noise canceling mics used in aircraft? They work very well. You might try "David Clark" mic elements.

8. KD2IAT

KD2IAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Why try to adapt something that very few (if any) teams are using? (Fully agree with Alan!) There's plenty of professional grade helmet mic and ear solutions readily available.? Ruggedradios.com, racingelectronics.com, racecommunications.com and lots more offer the same gear used by NASCAR and other groups.

FWIW, the best use of throat mics is by tactical teams in environments that are much different from racing.

9. KG7OTL

KG7OTL Ham Member QRZ Page

At my work the throat mikes are used by guys in full face respirators......

10. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know what they use in helicopters, but they work great. The noise cancelling is fast and flawless. Even with no doors, conversations can take place without raising your voice at all. At first, it's hard to get used to that and not yell.

Helicopters are loud.