Three Xmitters, One Antenna - How to?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KE2SJ, Feb 22, 2021 at 6:15 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE2SJ

KE2SJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have three dual band rigs that I'd like to hook up to the same dual band vertical. I've been given various advice - that I can reverse a triple coax switch, thst doing so won't provide isolation and I'll hurt my rigs, that I should get the MFJ 1700B or 1700C, or that I should get a triplexer. I'll only be using one radio at a time, I'm just to lazy to reach back and disconnect and reconnect coax every time I want to change radios. So... does anyone have a definitive answer and, even better, product recommendations? Thanks from KE2SJ...

2. W4RS

W4RS Ham Member QRZ Page

just get a alpha delta 4 pos switch. 4 in 1 out. problem solved

K1LKP, K8XG, NN4RH and 1 other person like this.
  3. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As W4RS already implied, the isolation of the Alpha-Delta coax switches is pretty good. I've been using one for about 20 years to switch between a 100 Watt HF radio, a 5 Watt QRP radio and an antenna analyzer. There have been zero issues.

However, I would NOT do that with any other coax switch, without verifying directly with the manufacturer what the isolation is.

Another option is a "patch panel". You still have to move connectors around, but with a patch panel you can mount it where it's a lot more convenient, i.e. facing front. Another step beyond that, is to get some push-on "quick connect" connectors or adapters.

4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"RF flows both ways".

Alpha Delta switches are tops!

K1LKP and K0UO like this.
  6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Good quality Coax switch will likely provide good isolation.

K1LKP likes this.
  7. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dual band? As in VHF/UHF? I'd venture to say that coax switches will prove less than satisfactory at those frequencies.

A patch panel as K7JEM suggested is easy. Use BNC connectors, one for each radio and one for the antenna. BNC are bayonet type and connect/disconnect quickly, and are good at those frequencies. The panel is super easy to make.

K1LKP likes this.
  8. KE2SJ

Unfortunately, my feed line and all my jumpers all have PL-259s and I've never had success with putting on BNCs without shorting them. Would folks recommend the patch board over the Alpha Delta for 2m/70cm? I suppose I could just use SO-239s though less convenient than BNCs. Anyone have schematics for one if the Alpha Deltas try won't work at high frequencies? Regrettably, a second or third antenna isn't an option. Thanks...

9. KE2SJ

10. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Alpha Delta also makes switches with SO-239 connectors. Good to 500MHz, has 50+ dB of isolation:

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/alf-delta-4b

K8XG, K0UO and N7WR like this.