ad: elecraft

Three Major Ham Radio Events give 2021 update

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8KSU, Dec 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

2. N6TDG

N6TDG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is playing out the same way for fairs here in CA. To date, fairs in February, May and June have cancelled. Whether all fairs will again be cancelled this year remains to be seen... You know they are ramping up the Covid 19 v.2 saying it is more deadly than the common cold...soooo...

3. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's too easy, and text doesn't get Youtube viewership or make money.

NJ0F, WN1MB, KR3DX and 2 others like this.
  4. KG5VK

KG5VK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Someone stated there was not date on the U tube video interview
    seems like the first few lines of text had this
    "Tim Duffy, K3LR was live on Facebook and YouTube on 12/22/2020"

By the way chalk me down for preferring text versus videos
    A short paragraph or 3 sentences versus 10 to 20 minute long videos often would be better
    in my opinion - just ,my two cents worth :)

cheers!
    Steve
    KG5VK

WX4W, K2HAT, NJ0F and 2 others like this.
  5. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

I think they can't get insurance coverage to cover the suits brought on by someone who died after attending.

K0UO likes this.
  6. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well said, Chip. Also nice to see some coordination across the various shows. Look forward to seeing everyone at a hamfest near you !

W1YW likes this.
  7. NK4K

NK4K Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. I can read a vastly more detailed account in about 3 minutes. With all the "fluff" and promotions, it's what? 15 minutes? 20 minutes? Intro and extro take up time naming names and providing pseudo-intellectual BS.

K0EB, WX4W, NJ0F and 2 others like this.
  8. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

34 minutes...believe it or not...

KR3DX and KA2FIR like this.
  9. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm lost, was this thread about ham radio events or a place to lodge complaints about videos and podcasts?

10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok, so reading through this in a couple of minutes I see

HamCom closing permanently.
    Orlando HamCation will be some sort of virtual show.

What is the rest of the news?

(And NO, I’m not clicking some 30 minute video to find out. Videos are fine, but put the one or two sentence summary of the news in the OP text and then I’ll decide if I want to spend a half hour learning more details.)

W5TRX, KC0KEK, KA2FIR and 1 other person like this.
  11. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

News flash: EVERYONE who would have attended would have died after attending. So would anyone who didn't attend. And please note that production of a YouTube video was not necessary to convey this news flash information. No apologies to the illiterate.

K0EB, WB4YAL, W5TRX and 4 others like this.
  12. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Very funny. Covid introduces just another excuse to file frivolous lawsuits on behalf of "survivors" and "victims" of any perceived wrong. If a person contracted Covid after attending the event, then died even years later a lawyer could claim that the event was responsible for the death and get a jury award. No this is not common sense but we don't live in a society where common sense means anything.

KA2FIR likes this.
  13. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Everyone wants to be a video actor have their own channel and play Walter Cronkite.

Don't need video, just a flyer in PDF format the kind they used to handout at hamfest informing you of the next hamfest.

Yes, I'm a licensed 50 year ham and 70 yo curmudgeon.

K2HAT, N3FAA, NJ0F and 3 others like this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

In a dark, troubled, cynical world, its become fashionable to denigrate positive efforts; totally reinterpret comments in direct contradiction to their statement and meaning; and try to erase what is often the best and deserving as ephemeral.

I support a free ability to log these, IMO, less than savory, comments, even at the expense of seeing my own erased.

But let's not lose track of the true motivation of those who want to help us be informed; keep our morale up and positive; and shine a light in a very dark tunnel. That is why K3LR and his video guests spent the time to make this video. No one is 'playing' anything. There is genuine friendship and 'giving back'. Would that come across in a pdf? Probably not.

Many of us are in the confusing state of wondering not just when we will be let 'out of the COVID cave', but who among us will be there in six months? a year? 18 months? In a time of mortality and uncertainty, try to take the positive interpretation. We joined ham radio to make connections with each other. No reason to stop now.

and Best for all in 2021,
    Chip W1YW

W9EBE likes this.
  15. NJ0F

NJ0F Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There are those of us with no time to sit and watch these videos. Just post the facts somewhere and we can get the facts and updates and move on. I haven’t checked but perhaps these updates are on the respective hamfest sites.

WX4W, N0TZU, K2HAT and 2 others like this.